Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move iTunes library from Windows 10 PC to new Macbook Pro Big Sur

Hoping someone can help with this. I am a new Mac user, longtime PC user. I have a new MacBook Pro with Big Sur and a huge iTunes Library from my Windows 10 PC on an exFax External drive. I am trying to either open up the library file, import, etc...whatever I need to do to have all my music, song ratings/plays/etc, playlists and such in the new Mac Music app. Was hoping I could just plug that external in, change the Music Media folder location to that external folder with the iTunes Library.itl and it would work. But nothing..thanks for the help!

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 9:07 PM

Wow...though turingtest2 answer was thorough (thanks for offering!) it just sent me down a bunch of rabbit holes. I knew there had to be an easier way, and finally figured it out.

If you have a Windows 10 PC with itunes library and all files on an exFat external drive, you just need to let the Mac know where it is.

Close Music, and best to restart the Mac.

Hold 'Option' button and click the Music app.

Option comes up to choose library, click that.

Go find the "iTunes Librarty.itl" file on the external drive and select it.

It will then basically wants to setup a new Music location on the Mac internal drive, so do that.

After that, all my music was still on external, but all songs, ratings, playlists came over as expected.

Hope this helps someone!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 9:07 PM in response to turingtest2

Wow...though turingtest2 answer was thorough (thanks for offering!) it just sent me down a bunch of rabbit holes. I knew there had to be an easier way, and finally figured it out.

If you have a Windows 10 PC with itunes library and all files on an exFat external drive, you just need to let the Mac know where it is.

Close Music, and best to restart the Mac.

Hold 'Option' button and click the Music app.

Option comes up to choose library, click that.

Go find the "iTunes Librarty.itl" file on the external drive and select it.

It will then basically wants to setup a new Music location on the Mac internal drive, so do that.

After that, all my music was still on external, but all songs, ratings, playlists came over as expected.

Hope this helps someone!

Move iTunes library from Windows 10 PC to new Macbook Pro Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.