Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight - Using significant energy.

I recently bought my MacBook Air M1. When not charging keeps draining my battery faster than usual -showing using significant energy. This never used to happen before. I'm currently on Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3.

Please advise if there is anything I could do about this or even disable spotlight search.

Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, 11.2

Posted on Mar 22, 2021 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 1:24 AM

Depending on the amount of Data on the drive, it is normal for Spotlight to perform a complete Index of everything on the drive. Thus, more battery usage. Suggest keep the computer plugged in for 1 / 3 days and allow Spotlight to finish its; job. Thereafter - should and return to normal.

That aside - open Activity Monitor >> View >> View All Processes. Check the CPU Tab for any Application / Process using excessive CPU and then same for Memory Tab. This would be a good start to track down a RunAway process.

Lastly - are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners , Optimizers, VPN installed ? Totally unneeded software that causes havoc, not fit for purpose etc. Remove as er Developers Instructions. If Not Applicable - Disregard.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 1:24 AM in response to shanks0209

Depending on the amount of Data on the drive, it is normal for Spotlight to perform a complete Index of everything on the drive. Thus, more battery usage. Suggest keep the computer plugged in for 1 / 3 days and allow Spotlight to finish its; job. Thereafter - should and return to normal.

That aside - open Activity Monitor >> View >> View All Processes. Check the CPU Tab for any Application / Process using excessive CPU and then same for Memory Tab. This would be a good start to track down a RunAway process.

Lastly - are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners , Optimizers, VPN installed ? Totally unneeded software that causes havoc, not fit for purpose etc. Remove as er Developers Instructions. If Not Applicable - Disregard.

Mar 24, 2021 1:39 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for your reply. It's not showing me that spotlight is using significant energy anymore. Like you mentioned its probably done its job. When it was happening I tried to kill the process using activity monitor but that was no good as it used to show up again. I do have a disk cleaner installed, maybe i'll just uninstall that.

Spotlight - Using significant energy.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.