Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Photos app crashes when I try to enable iCloud

A few weeks ago, the Photos app on my MacBook stopped getting my latest photos. The photos were getting from my iPhone to the iCloud, but were not syncing to my MacBook. This was after several months of all syncing working well. To remedy the problem it was my intent to disable, then re-enable iCloud for Photos on my MacBook. FYI, I have several other iCloud data stores including Contacts, Drive, Notes, etc, which are syncing properly.

The problem: I open Photos preferences and select "iCloud Photo Library" (see first attached pic). A dialog box first tries to up-sell me more disk space (even though I have twice what I need at 50 GB). Upon selecting 'Continue' from that dialog (see 2nd picture), the Photos app crashes immediately. This has been going on for several weeks. I've been waiting / hoping for a software update to fix this but no luck.

Today is March 23, 2021.

I'm running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Photos application Version 3.0 (3291.13.230)

All software is up-to-date.

Help appreciated.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 8:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2021 3:19 PM

I solved this as follows:

1. Run the Photos Repair Library tool as per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204967 . This took < 1 hr.
  2. Restart Photos in normal mode.
  3. Open Photos preferences and re-select iCloud tab -> iCloud Photo Library.
  4. Wait.

Step 3 will take a while. I have about 5 GB of photos (and videos) and this took 3 - 4 hours on my old 2010 MacBook Pro. The progress indicator for this is wonky so be patient. CPU spiked for a few hours so maybe let this go overnight.

After everything settled down, new photos taken on my phone get up the the cloud and back to my MacBook in 1 - 2 minutes, per normal.

PS: No need to erase my hard drive or reinstall anything.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2021 3:19 PM in response to MacNosticJim

I solved this as follows:

1. Run the Photos Repair Library tool as per https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204967 . This took < 1 hr.
  2. Restart Photos in normal mode.
  3. Open Photos preferences and re-select iCloud tab -> iCloud Photo Library.
  4. Wait.

Step 3 will take a while. I have about 5 GB of photos (and videos) and this took 3 - 4 hours on my old 2010 MacBook Pro. The progress indicator for this is wonky so be patient. CPU spiked for a few hours so maybe let this go overnight.

After everything settled down, new photos taken on my phone get up the the cloud and back to my MacBook in 1 - 2 minutes, per normal.

PS: No need to erase my hard drive or reinstall anything.

The Photos app crashes when I try to enable iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.