Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing sim cards

Changing from an iphone 6 to iphone 8. Can I just insert my old sim card into the new phone, and it's good to go? Do I have to go to my carrier to have it all changed over? Does this change my account info with my carrier.

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 1:27 PM

Unless you're using a CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon, and the new phone is not carrier locked or is locked to the same carrier you're using now, you should be fine. As far as cellular service goes.

You still need to transfer your data from the old phone to the new one, assuming you don't want to start from scratch.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269

Your account with your carrier should not be affected.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2021 1:27 PM in response to rdwarrior

Unless you're using a CDMA carrier like Sprint or Verizon, and the new phone is not carrier locked or is locked to the same carrier you're using now, you should be fine. As far as cellular service goes.

You still need to transfer your data from the old phone to the new one, assuming you don't want to start from scratch.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269

Your account with your carrier should not be affected.

Mar 25, 2021 3:07 PM in response to KiltedTim

OK Kilted Tim, thanks for the info. I guess I will contact my local Verizon store.

I always buy a newer model brand new every couple of years, so when my current model goes, I just pull out a new in box model, and have it switched. Previously, Verizon did it all because I had a contract. When I opened my iPhone 6 several years ago, my contract was long over, but because I am using Verizon as a carrier, they did that one for me for charge. The mother board is shot in that now, and I am opening my iPhone 8. I don't care about having the current model, nor paying the current prices.

I buy them brand new on Ebay, and by that time the prices are much better for leftovers. In another year or so, I will buy the iPhone X, XS, or XR, so when the 8 goes, I will activate that.

Thanks again for your help.

Changing sim cards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.