Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't upload Big Sur and I get the error message of not enough memory. Do I have to replace my 2013 Mac Air or buy more memory?

I can't upload Big Sur and I get the error message of not enough memory. Do I have to replace my 2013 Mac Air or buy more memory?

Posted on Mar 23, 2021 7:17 PM

4 replies

Mar 23, 2021 8:05 PM in response to Dyquem1

Dyquem1 Said:

"I can't upload Big Sur and I get the error message of not enough memory. Do I have to replace my 2013 Mac Air or buy more memory?"

-------

What to Do:

I. Verify Requirement are Met:

II. Free Up Storage:

III. Try this once more. Any Issues?

Mar 24, 2021 8:54 AM in response to Dyquem1

You cannot upgrade either RAM (memory) or storage space (hard drive/SSD size).

FWIW, if you only have 4 GB of RAM, that would be barely enough; the recommendation is a minimum of 8 GB. And, the requirements for Big Sur show that your model is dead last (oldest) for the OS; that means it will run, but not efficiently. Apple tests these requirement under ideal lab conditions, so for the real usage, it is barely enough.

If you do decide to get a newer one, make sure you have at least 8 B RAM (16 would be better) and an absolute minimum of 256 GB (512 is much better) of storage/drive size.

Mar 23, 2021 8:07 PM in response to Dyquem1

Dyquem1 Said:

"I can't upload Big Sur and I get the error message of not enough memory. Do I have to replace my 2013 Mac Air or buy more memory?"

-------

Important - Backup your Mac First:

Be certain you create a backup of your Mac prior to performing an upgrade. That way, you will have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade. For the Backup, use an external hard drive of at least 1.5 times the storage, or use iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.