Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get rid off duplicate playlists in Music 1.1.3.3 (BigSur)

Hi,

Since I moved to Big Sur, the Music app in which I attempt to organize my music creates playlists that I didn't create, and duplicates them several times (fig 1)

Then I delete them but next time I launch Music, they're back.

They are not on my iPhone and iPad.

I do not sync my music via former iTunes now embedded in the Finder (fig 2)

The "Manually manage my music" is checked there (fig 3)

So it's not coming from any other device.

Any way to stop having this to happen? It's very annoying.

Thanks for any clue.

Steve J

fig 1

fig 2

fig 3

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 9:37 AM

Ok I found the solution.

Pain in the neck.

Actually, I had to go through all playlists in the Music Mac app and edit the rules for each and everyone of them.

What do you have there? A button called "Live updating" that keeps it alive and coming back.

Once you uncheck that option in each of the playlists, you can delete it, it won't reappear.

Even better you see it disappear from the Media Sharing folder and the iPhone finder Sync > Playlist tab... live!

Good, now I can reconstruct my library.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Steve J

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2021 9:37 AM in response to sjordi

Ok I found the solution.

Pain in the neck.

Actually, I had to go through all playlists in the Music Mac app and edit the rules for each and everyone of them.

What do you have there? A button called "Live updating" that keeps it alive and coming back.

Once you uncheck that option in each of the playlists, you can delete it, it won't reappear.

Even better you see it disappear from the Media Sharing folder and the iPhone finder Sync > Playlist tab... live!

Good, now I can reconstruct my library.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Steve J

Mar 24, 2021 6:56 AM in response to turingtest2

Well, looks like in the Mac System Preferences > Sharing > Media Sharing > Options...

we have selected Playlists guess what I found? See image.

I actually never created those playlists and I think it got screwed over the migration, which is surprising as I fully reformatted my Mac and did a clean Big Sur install, and reinstalled everything manually, nothing back from TimeMachine.

So my guess is that it's somewhere in iCloud.

Even if I uncheck them all and tells it to share all media, they still reappear. I wonder where they actually really are listed...

I don't subscribe to Apple Music and I used to have iTunes Match but just for 1 year about 6 or 7 years ago...

Thanks for your help.

Mar 24, 2021 6:36 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes, unfortunately.

I'm currently in the process to fully remove all traces of Music files anywhere and start over by dragging and dropping my entire music library into it to see wether trailing playlists stay in place or are erased. But it doesn't let me start a new library, pretending I have devices attached to the Mac, which is wrong, and I even signed out from everything.

I'll check the iCloud sync and disable it to start over. Hopefully this will put things straight.

i had zero problems while on Catalina.

Thanks anyway

Steve

Mar 24, 2021 8:39 AM in response to turingtest2

Home sharing was off already. I have to check on the AppleTV though. I'll turn everything off and turn on again to see what is happening.

---

Ok turned home sharing on all my Macs, iPhones, iPads, AppleTVs

They're still there in the Mac > Media Sharing options.

I wonder where they're stored so I can just delete them once and for all.

Can't get rid off duplicate playlists in Music 1.1.3.3 (BigSur)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.