Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music - content syncs, but not playlists

Apple Music's iCloud Music Library is the killer app of the cloud music industry, but its capability of managing and syncing playlists continues a long tradition of frustration and failure.

In the past, I have dealt with playlists suddenly dropping songs for no apparent reason, or syncing content that I would rather not sync, and not giving me any undo capability.

Now I find that I can create playlists on my Mac, add content to the playlist, and find the content on my phone, but not the playlist.

This is troublesome for the apparent minority among us who carefully compose and order our playlists, as opposed to the presumed majority who use playlists the same way workers at demolition sites use dump trucks - they scoop large quantities of music in no particular order into them, all at once.

Sadly, Apple has no mercy for those of us who care about the integrity and ordering of our music, never has.

So, yes, I do have the box checked in my Mac Music app to sync music in the Preferences. I have the boxes checked in my Music Settings on my phone to sync all of the appropriate content. The content is syncing, but the playlists aren't on the journey.

If you made it through my rant, your suggestions are welcome.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 1:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 3:07 AM

Edit: "syncing content that I would rather not sync, and not giving me any undo capability" - an example of this from the past might be that I accidentally clicked on "shuffle." All of the songs I carefully ordered were mixed up, and I had no way to undo this.

I turned off iCloud Music Library on the phone, turned it back on and restarted the device. Then turned off Syncing on the Mac and turned it back on. That seems to have fixed the problem for the time being.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2021 3:07 AM in response to hot.glue.gun

Edit: "syncing content that I would rather not sync, and not giving me any undo capability" - an example of this from the past might be that I accidentally clicked on "shuffle." All of the songs I carefully ordered were mixed up, and I had no way to undo this.

I turned off iCloud Music Library on the phone, turned it back on and restarted the device. Then turned off Syncing on the Mac and turned it back on. That seems to have fixed the problem for the time being.

Apple Music - content syncs, but not playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.