Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting from APFS to Externtal Hard Drive

So, I updated my MacBook 2017 from High Seirra to Big Sur (because I wanted a system past 11.13 to download an app - but now I'm just doing to stick with 11.13) using an external drive and then immediately regretted it and turned back by re-staring and getting 11.13 back with back-ups using another external hard drive that is connected to a Time Machine.

I uploaded the big slur update to an external hard drive because I didn't have the memory on my Macintosh HD to do the update, but it caused my EHD to change to an APFS system.

Is there any way to convert my external hard drive back to its original volume?

Please let me know as I would like to consider all the options before buying a new EHD

MacBook

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 11:31 AM

In Disk Utility format the external Drive to MacOS Extended (Journaled),formerly called HFS+.

This from Seagate, but same for other drives...

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/how-to-format-your-drive-macos-extended-journaled-on-macos-big-sur-and-later/

3 replies

Mar 24, 2021 10:59 AM in response to BDAqua

I successfully downgraded my MacBook.

The 10.13 - sorry not 11.13 - was on my Macintosh HD (linked to Time Machine not on the external drive.

But the Big Sur update was on my external hard drive which made the EHD change from whatever it was before to APFS and I would like to change the EHD back to its original state (and get rid of the APFS on it due to the Big Sur update).

Converting from APFS to Externtal Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.