Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail for Mac - Archive Issue

Hi Forum,

I am wondering if someone could assist with a small issue.

I have several emails inadvertently placed in my archive folder on my mac (different emails in my archive folder on my iphone - seperate issue). The emails are also in various folders as well as in my archive folders. When I delete the emails in the archive folders they also delete the original emails that are stored in the various other folders.

Is there a way I can delete all the archived emails and not delete the original emails in their respective folders?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

J

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 5:14 AM

Gmail’s All Mail folder is mapped to Archive in Mail.

Goolag stores every message you send and receive in All Mail to efficiently monetize your information.

Gmail also does not use folders, but uses tags called Labels. A message can have multiple Labels. On a standards compliant IMAP email client like Mail, those tags cause messages to appear in multiple folders.

Since Gmail is not really an IMAP server (or POP), it is best not to try to use it with a standard email client. Just use their web portal as it was designed to be used.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2021 5:14 AM in response to jishijet2020

Gmail’s All Mail folder is mapped to Archive in Mail.

Goolag stores every message you send and receive in All Mail to efficiently monetize your information.

Gmail also does not use folders, but uses tags called Labels. A message can have multiple Labels. On a standards compliant IMAP email client like Mail, those tags cause messages to appear in multiple folders.

Since Gmail is not really an IMAP server (or POP), it is best not to try to use it with a standard email client. Just use their web portal as it was designed to be used.

Mail for Mac - Archive Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.