Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Status of email in the Mail Archive

I'm a little confused about the automatic Archive folder in Mail. I manually file a lot of my email in specific folders but the Archive folder is automatically populated - what criterial does the system use? It seems to be primarily filled by email from my Gmail account. Also, mail in the Archive folder still seems to be be present in the inbox or the manual folders - so is the email in Archive only a copy? I'm scratching my head and hoping someone can shed some light :]

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Aug 23, 2020 11:34 AM

11 replies

Aug 24, 2020 6:52 AM in response to Cameron Paterson

But I'm still wondering why emails I have sorted into 'On My Mac' folders either manually or via rules are still appearing within Archive/ All Mail...

Gmail isn't really IMAP. It slept in a Holiday Inn Express one night, but it still only pretends to be IMAP.

Gmail doesn't have folders or mailboxes. It uses Labels which are like Tags. A message can have many Labels.

A new message is delivered to your email client (Mail) with two Labels, "Inbox" and "All Mail."

When Mail moves a message, it removes the Label corresponding to the mailbox it was moved from, not any others. So, while the "Inbox" label was removed, the "All Mail" label remains intact, as Goolag wants it.

Goolag keeps all of your email in All Mail, even if you delete it. It makes it much easier to harvest your personal information.

On older Gmail accounts, you can turn off display of the All Mail label in IMAP clients. However, it appears that capability has been removed for new accounts.

I think you can still modify Gmail's settings to actually delete emails you delete and not keep a copy in All Mail.

Oct 3, 2020 1:34 PM in response to Cameron Paterson

I ran into a related problem to this question during this past week. My Mail app (on my 2017 27inch iMac - latest MacOS) had been having problems for the last month or so similar to other posts I have read concerning continuously moving messages and using large amounts of CPU. I finally found the probable cause - deleted emails were not being cleared from trash and I had over 22,000 of them. I have had the delete trash option for all mailboxes set at 1 month but looks like no clean up had been done since the beginning of July. I also noticed the Archive folder was huge and since I don't use it, I deleted most of it. My Mail app then seemed to start working correctly (and it has been for at least 4 days now).

However, I must have done something wrong when deleting the trash or archived emails because all of the gmail messages in my inbox and sent folders were gone. I haven't had time to check all of my other folders so hoping those are still there. I do have backups so I was able to recover most if not all the messages but still wondering what happened to cause them to be deleted.

Status of email in the Mail Archive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.