Apple Intelligence is now available on iPhone, iPad, and Mac!

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple Watch

I currently have an apple watch series 5. I'm interested in an apple watch series 6. I was looking for the GPS + Cellular option, but while I was browsing on the apple website, I saw that it mentioned that it supported certain carriers. My question is if the apple watch is factory locked to those carriers, or was that mostly about the Family setup? I go back and forth from the US and Mexico, but my cell phone carrier is telcel. I saw that the apple store in Mexico includes telcel as a carrier, but I would much rather order it in the US bc that's where I'll be when I buy it.

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 7:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 8:15 PM

The Apple Watch purchased in the US is the same one as used in Mexico. They are not locked to a carrier, however, if you wish to activate the cellular on the Watch, you will need to pick one carrier, if you use a different one in the US. See this list. Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

Just remember, the Apple Watch will pair and work to handle calls and other tasks as long as the paired iPhone is nearby, without having to purchase the more expensive GPS+Cellular, you can just get the GPS only. Just remember that activation of the cellular also will incur additional charges for your cellular bill. Here is the US, the US carriers generally charge $10/month for the Watch.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 24, 2021 8:15 PM in response to ale_garcia

The Apple Watch purchased in the US is the same one as used in Mexico. They are not locked to a carrier, however, if you wish to activate the cellular on the Watch, you will need to pick one carrier, if you use a different one in the US. See this list. Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

Just remember, the Apple Watch will pair and work to handle calls and other tasks as long as the paired iPhone is nearby, without having to purchase the more expensive GPS+Cellular, you can just get the GPS only. Just remember that activation of the cellular also will incur additional charges for your cellular bill. Here is the US, the US carriers generally charge $10/month for the Watch.

New Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.