Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh HD disappeared from disk utility’! Please help

I just had a new MacBook Pro M1 2020. I decided to restore to factory settings and reinstall MacOS Big Sur when the file transfer from my old laptop stopped Photos functioning.. It’s been problems since,.. and now I could not install MacOS Big Sur.. because the hard disk is not detected.. It’s untitled in disk utility! Please help..

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Mar 24, 2021 11:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 12:11 AM

Hey there!

You should be able to go back into Disk Utility.

On the top menu select View > Show All Devices.

Then under Internal, select the main SSD/HDD/Fusion Drive > Erase > Erase again.

Before erasing, you can re-name the volume, (Normally Macintosh HD, but it can be changed).

Next, you should be able to Quit Disk Utility, then again try to Reinstall MAC OS.

This time you should see the normal Macintosh HD, (Or whatever you re-named the volume).

Hope that helps!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2021 12:11 AM in response to Xiaochern21

Hey there!

You should be able to go back into Disk Utility.

On the top menu select View > Show All Devices.

Then under Internal, select the main SSD/HDD/Fusion Drive > Erase > Erase again.

Before erasing, you can re-name the volume, (Normally Macintosh HD, but it can be changed).

Next, you should be able to Quit Disk Utility, then again try to Reinstall MAC OS.

This time you should see the normal Macintosh HD, (Or whatever you re-named the volume).

Hope that helps!

Macintosh HD disappeared from disk utility’! Please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.