Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac software update fails

I am running Mojave on my Air. For the past few weeks automatic updates have stopped working.

When I click on the link to install the update, I get something like this:

I posted when I had this problem with an OS security update. I was advised to come here, find the update and download it from Apple support directly, which I did. Now I'm trying to install Safari 14.0.3. Same problem. I looked for the Safari update on apple.com and I have not been able to find it. I would really like to find out why everything else should be working OK and this one thing not work. Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 7:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 8:08 AM

Which browser are you using, try Safari, have you looked in your Downloads folder,

you can clearly see I have no problems downloading it.

Copy and paste the following into the Safari search bar and press Return, don't worry if it says not secure

it is a legitimate Apple link, it won't do any harm.

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/44/11/071-10830-A_HVHGD91GPY/cr9a8oy39eao60prj4iwtho4s7w7l5cmm7/Safari14.0.3MojaveAuto.pkg

Here I am downloading it again,

Etrecheck is still recommended by people here, why you are seeing only references to over 5 years ago I don't know,

the copyright on the front page of Etrecheck is for 2015-2021.

You don't need to get everything through the App Store, it is no guarantee the apps are safe to use,

you can get CleanMyMac there and it is more than likely to kill off your mac. Being on the App Store just means Apple

is getting cash.

I wouldn't recommend these things if I didn't trust them.

https://etrecheck.com/gopro read here why it is no longer in the App Store.

Did you read the Effective defences against malware and other threats.

Perhaps you have been running McAfee for 2 years and it has finally ground your mac down to the situation you are facing today.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2021 8:08 AM in response to Mark Chambers1

Which browser are you using, try Safari, have you looked in your Downloads folder,

you can clearly see I have no problems downloading it.

Copy and paste the following into the Safari search bar and press Return, don't worry if it says not secure

it is a legitimate Apple link, it won't do any harm.

http://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/44/11/071-10830-A_HVHGD91GPY/cr9a8oy39eao60prj4iwtho4s7w7l5cmm7/Safari14.0.3MojaveAuto.pkg

Here I am downloading it again,

Etrecheck is still recommended by people here, why you are seeing only references to over 5 years ago I don't know,

the copyright on the front page of Etrecheck is for 2015-2021.

You don't need to get everything through the App Store, it is no guarantee the apps are safe to use,

you can get CleanMyMac there and it is more than likely to kill off your mac. Being on the App Store just means Apple

is getting cash.

I wouldn't recommend these things if I didn't trust them.

https://etrecheck.com/gopro read here why it is no longer in the App Store.

Did you read the Effective defences against malware and other threats.

Perhaps you have been running McAfee for 2 years and it has finally ground your mac down to the situation you are facing today.

Mar 26, 2021 5:27 AM in response to Mark Chambers1

Clicking on the link will open a blank page but the download of the Safari14.0.3MojaveAuto.pkg

will start automatically and download to your Downloads folder.

Macs do not need anti-virus and McAfee is one of the worst they are useless as there are no viruses that attack the mac.

Use the developers uninstall instructions. AV apps run in the background using up system resources

often flagging up files as threats which you are encouraged to delete. Often these files are vital

system components and if deleted will contribute to the gradual loss in performance and usability of your mac.

Read this article,

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

I did say that Safe Mode takes a long time to start up and to be patient, you managed to last all of three minutes.

Typically Safe Mode takes as long has 10 minutes to start up, be patient.

Here is a screenshot of the Safari 14.0.3 package that I downloaded yesterday from the link I provided,

note the details.

Have you ever thought about running this app on your mac, https://etrecheck.com

this will generate a report on your mac which you can post back here using the

Additional Text tool, third from the right of the icons at the bottom of a Reply window

here, just run the free version, no personal information is included in the report.

Mar 25, 2021 8:07 AM in response to Mark Chambers1

Not sure why your mac is not updating from Apples Software Update Servers, are you hiding behind a VPN.

are you using any anti-virus apps that could prevent you from connecting to Apples servers.

Do you have any other problems with your internet connection.

Have you tried while booted up to Safe Mode.

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support

Safe mode takes along time to boot up, be patient.

I wouldn't have Automatic downloads set, uncheck the box, click on Advanced and have the mac inform you of

available updates. Install them at a time that is convenient for you.

Apple in its usual helpful way stopped posting Safari updates on the Apple Support Downloads page.

Here is a link to the Safari 14.0.3 update. http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...j4iwtho4s7w7l5cmm7/Safari14.0.3MojaveAuto.pkg

Mar 26, 2021 5:06 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for the reply. I have used a VPN and antivirus (McAfee) for > 2 years and this update problem just started 2 months ago. Even though I have automatic updates selected, I usually just get notified so I have to click the dialog box that shows up when I log on to my Mac, or go through System Prefs. And with a Safari update it says I have to exit Safari, which I do, then I get the error message. I shut down both VPN and antivirus programs and it made no difference. I got the same message about no server could be found.

I tried clicking on your link to the Safari update and I got a blank page.

I also tried to boot up in Safe mode. I held the shift key on startup and for about 3 minutes after the progress was complete, but it just stayed there. After 5 minutes. I rebooted. Does it really take more than 5 minutes to boot into Safe mode?

Mar 26, 2021 7:27 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for staying with me.

First, that link for the Safari update opens a blank page and the Url header starts with "not Secure" and no download occurs.

This with everything turned off. EtreCheck seems like it would be useful, but it's not in the Mac app store any more and

when I search these forums, the references to it are 5 years old.

I agree the McAfee often seems like more trouble than it's worth, but I've had it a couple years and this problem is new.

I will try to be patient enough to boot into safe mode.

Mar 27, 2021 4:34 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks so much. Clicking on the link didn't work, but copy & paste to the url line did. I'm set, for now.

Maybe you are right about McAfee, but I don't have a performance issue. I just have a problem with software update process., just that one thing. I'm sure I'll see it again when the next MacOS update comes along. Someone suggested that this is Apple's way of getting you to upgrade your OS. I'm still hanging on to legacy apps so I'm still using Mojave.

If you think EtreCheck will help solve this issue, I will ty it.

Also, I read the Effective Defenses article and I've read many others. I've come to the conclusion that MacOS is certainly less prone to virus and malware, but it is out there and it is possible to get infected. MacOS may have great security, but it gives no tools to find out if I am infected and no tools to remove viruses or malware if they occur. I agree that McAfee and other anti-virus programs are problematic because they are always running in background. I would like to have something that would only run in manual mode, just when I wanted to us it.

Mar 27, 2021 4:57 AM in response to Mark Chambers1

macOS has x-protect built in, which will let you know if it detects anything.

Malwarebytes is also recommended for keeping on top of

malware/ adware.

Download the free version and run it on a weekly or monthly basis.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

There are no viruses that affect the mac.

How does the 'someone suggested that this is Apples way of getting you to upgrade your OS'

explain the millions of others using Mojave, Catalina have no problem downloading

and installing Security Updates or Safari updates.

mac software update fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.