Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

convert NOTES note to Word Doc

in a post that Apple has decided is too old to let me respond to directly (which would make the context easier for all of us) someone suggested: Choose "file" from menu and then choose "export". You can then export the notes file to pdf or word, etc.

However this DOES NOT WORK, as the only option is export to .pdf file format. Apple won't let you even change the extension to make a word file.

Is there any other way to do that conversion automatically? If that "used to work" how about Apple fixes it back (or even for the first time) so we can convert to what format we want to convert to?

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2021 12:23 PM

Always provide a referential link to the original post you are referring to so we can have a date and operating system version for reference.

I have gone back as far as El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G22010) and its Notes application only exports to PDF, so you are referencing an ancient article in the context of macOS history. Apple used to have a link annotation feature in Preview, but that was in Snow Leopard 11 years ago. With Apple, things change.

You do not convert data on the Mac by changing the file extension. With Word v16.31 or later, you can open a PDF in it and convert that PDF content to a Word document. That would be your path from Notes to Word document conversion.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2021 12:23 PM in response to bob7cat

Always provide a referential link to the original post you are referring to so we can have a date and operating system version for reference.

I have gone back as far as El Capitan 10.11.6 (15G22010) and its Notes application only exports to PDF, so you are referencing an ancient article in the context of macOS history. Apple used to have a link annotation feature in Preview, but that was in Snow Leopard 11 years ago. With Apple, things change.

You do not convert data on the Mac by changing the file extension. With Word v16.31 or later, you can open a PDF in it and convert that PDF content to a Word document. That would be your path from Notes to Word document conversion.

Mar 25, 2021 12:39 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you so very much for this most helpful information. IT WORKS!

Now a few nits.

I'm not sure how one would provide a "referential link" since Apple won't allow me to respond (which I assume would include said link) because it's "too old". Old doesn't necessarily mean "not still very relevant". Looks like this one was posted from an Apple Watch and MacBook air -OTHER, iOS 8.1.3

1. Posted on Apr 20, 2015 1:32 PM. I guess my wish is that I could choose to respond to an old link if it think it's relevant. I'd guess the iOS is the Apple Watch and not the MacBook Air. So I think we don't really have any relevant reference data that provides the operating system actually in question.

While I understand it's not the "best" way it is possible to change some formats by changing the file extension. I've done it. I also realize it won't work in this instance.

convert NOTES note to Word Doc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.