Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem getting music onto iphone 7 30 GIG iOS 14.4.1

Hi

I want to put some new music onto my iphone from my Macbook Pro. I've had a good clear out on my phone and there is 8 GIG free. But everytime i try to copy an album across, my macbook (ripped from CDs) says there is not enough space on the phone and says to clear about 1.8 gig or similar off it. How ever much is cleared this still comes up with this message though the amount changes

I have backed up the phone.

I am going to my itunes on macbook and trying to drag across one album at a time to "Music" on the devices/phone part of itunes.

I have not synced the phone as it says the same thing and frankly i am baffled by itunes and how it works someone please help ! I have lovely new ear pods but a load of old music stuck on my phone !

Many thanks in advance

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 12:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2021 12:29 PM

Hi, Brampton Bodger.

If there is enough free space to sync the content over, but still giving you messages stating there isn't enough space, that could be indicative of an issue within the iOS software on the iPhone itself. With that being said, if you do have a backup, you can try removing all Music from the iPhone, and attempt to sync it back over.

Other than that, you may wind up needing to restore the iPhone to factory settings as you'd mentioned before. You can attempt to load the backup onto the iPhone afterwards. However, if the issue persists after loading the backup onto the iPhone, you may have to set the device up as new, and just use it from there to resolve your issue.

Cheers!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2021 12:29 PM in response to Brampton Bodger

Hi, Brampton Bodger.

If there is enough free space to sync the content over, but still giving you messages stating there isn't enough space, that could be indicative of an issue within the iOS software on the iPhone itself. With that being said, if you do have a backup, you can try removing all Music from the iPhone, and attempt to sync it back over.

Other than that, you may wind up needing to restore the iPhone to factory settings as you'd mentioned before. You can attempt to load the backup onto the iPhone afterwards. However, if the issue persists after loading the backup onto the iPhone, you may have to set the device up as new, and just use it from there to resolve your issue.

Cheers!

Mar 27, 2021 12:55 PM in response to Brampton Bodger

Hi, Brampton Bodger, and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having issues syncing content over to your iPhone from your MacBook Pro. We'll be glad to help out with this.

To help us get a clearer understanding of what you're experiencing, can you let us know the exact message you get, word for word, when you attempt to sync the music over? This will help us determine the next best steps from here.

We look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks again for reaching out.

Cheers!

Apr 3, 2021 12:59 AM in response to sterling r

Hi Sterling.

Many thanks for the help on this one. Sorry for the delay in replying. Some more information for you:-

I have tried in 2 ways to get new music onto my iphone 7.

Syncing music via itunes. So I select the albums i want via itunes and then press sync. The following message came up "The iphone "iphone" cannot be synced because there is not enough free space to hold all the selected items additional 1.03 Gig required)

I have 30 gig capacity and have used 26.9 gig of 32 gig it tells me in General>iphone storage.

Second way

I attach phone to itunes and just try and drag one album over onto the iphone. This has been successful in the past Again i get exactly the same message but with a different amount. Eg 709mb.

One other thought. To update my phone to iOS 14 some months ago i had to erase to factory settings and restore it from backup. Just wondering if that has created any issues.

Thank-you again for looking into this.

Apr 6, 2021 9:35 AM in response to Brampton Bodger

Hi, Brampton Bodger. Thanks for getting back to us.

One other possibility, may be that there are pending updates available for your iPhone. Do you have the latest version of iOS 14 installed on your device? Also, do you have any pending application updates?

Aside from this, from the backup that you restored. Did you ever have any similar issues like this in the past? If there were an issue with that backup, it could have been transferred over when you restored your iPhone.

Take care.

Apr 7, 2021 7:44 AM in response to jmarse1

Hi Many thanks for this reply and your help with this

I'm running the latest version on iOS 14.4.2

I'm not aware of this having been a problem before with my phone, i just dragged albums across to the phone when i added music from my itunes from my Macbook Pro.

Is it worth clearing all music off the phone and doing a factory reset from the back up?- Though presumably if the back-up is causing problems then i will be in the same boat.

Any other suggestions gratefully received !

Best wishes

Problem getting music onto iphone 7 30 GIG iOS 14.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.