Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Naming people in Apple photos-it keeps changing to first name only

When I name people/faces in Apple photos, it will change the name to a first name only for just a few select people (like me and a couple other family members). I have continually tried to change (re-type) my first AND last name in the main list, but it always changes it back to my first name only.

I am running Big Sur and Photos 6.0. Does anyone have a fix for this?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 9:26 AM

Try to set a short name format in the Contacts > Preference > General. Photos 6 will use the short name format you defined there. After I changed the short name format to "Full Name" in Contacts, Photos stopped the habit of using "First Name" only for the Photos, where I had used the name from the Contacts Card.

Otherwise you should avoid to use the names suggested from the Contacts, but then Siri cannot show you photos of your contacts.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2021 9:26 AM in response to mjadse

Try to set a short name format in the Contacts > Preference > General. Photos 6 will use the short name format you defined there. After I changed the short name format to "Full Name" in Contacts, Photos stopped the habit of using "First Name" only for the Photos, where I had used the name from the Contacts Card.

Otherwise you should avoid to use the names suggested from the Contacts, but then Siri cannot show you photos of your contacts.

Mar 27, 2021 12:36 AM in response to mjadse

You have to do it for each album individually, where you are still seeing a first-name only name.

• After you changed the Preferences in the Contacts to use the full name as the short name, open each album in turn, where you are still seeing a first name only.
  • Rename this album to a completely different name you have never used with Photos, like Mickey Mouse or similar.
  • After the person has been renamed, try again to enter the correct full name. It should stay now.

Naming people in Apple photos-it keeps changing to first name only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.