Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does restoring phone delete backup on Itunes

My iphone got smashed. I took it to a phone repair place. The guy connected my phone to computer. Backed it up to itunes and then transferred(restored) the backup to my new iphone.

He says the backup data on the computer is automatically deleted when i restored my new phone with that backup data from my old phone.

Is this the truth? Is backup deleted of the computer by itself after restore?

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 2:32 PM

It should still be available. You can look for your backups in iTunes this way.

If you have iTunes on your computer, launch it, then go to Edit>Preferences>Devices (if you use Windows) and you will see a box that shows all of your iOS backups. If you have a Mac with iTunes, after you launch it, go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices and you will see the same window showing your backups.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2021 2:32 PM in response to Querorz

It should still be available. You can look for your backups in iTunes this way.

If you have iTunes on your computer, launch it, then go to Edit>Preferences>Devices (if you use Windows) and you will see a box that shows all of your iOS backups. If you have a Mac with iTunes, after you launch it, go to iTunes>Preferences>Devices and you will see the same window showing your backups.

Mar 26, 2021 1:18 PM in response to Querorz

No. The backup is not deleted when you restore a backup. Unless something has changed in iTunes 12.8, restoring the backup to the phone archives the backup and it saves it in iTunes. It should be date stamped as well. I haven’t restored a backup from iTunes 12.8 but that’s how it worked in iTunes 12.7.

In fact, that is how a Windows user is able to archive backups. On a Mac, you can archive a backup manually. On a PC, when you restore the backup, that archives that backup.

Does restoring phone delete backup on Itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.