Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air's display: weird shadows and black screen.

Hello, recently my early 2014 MacBook Air (A1466) has been showing these weird shadows on the bottom of the screen, alternating with constant flickering, a big shadow only on one side of the screen then on the other, and oftentimes the screen goes black for a few seconds, then comes back. This problem seems to happen without explanation and it doesn't matter if I tilt the screen to a certain angle.

I've uploaded a video showing this issue: https://youtu.be/j968h5kqVoQ

What's wrong? Is the machine just too old? What's the fix?

Best regards.

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 4:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2021 8:24 PM

I saw the video. What you have posted is exactly what I viewed. That could be your Logic Board, The Display Cable or the Display itself that may be failing. I recommend that basic troubleshooting steps below and if none of them work then have your MacBook Air examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center for next steps.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM
  3. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center. If it is a hardware issue then the repair may get expensive enough to make you think whether you should just buy a new MacBook Air.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2021 8:24 PM in response to pau95

I saw the video. What you have posted is exactly what I viewed. That could be your Logic Board, The Display Cable or the Display itself that may be failing. I recommend that basic troubleshooting steps below and if none of them work then have your MacBook Air examined at the Apple Store or at an Authorized Service Center for next steps.

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM
  3. Beyond the above recommendations, You can have your MacBook Pro examined at the Apple Store or an Authorized Service Center. If it is a hardware issue then the repair may get expensive enough to make you think whether you should just buy a new MacBook Air.

Axel F.

Macbook Air's display: weird shadows and black screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.