Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

128 GB 2019 MBP

Hi, i want to update my MBP OS to Big Sur, but i'm afraid that these updates will take a lot of my storage. Right now i have 67 GB free storage, if i update to Big Sur OS. How much the storage left after updating it?

Hope some of you can help with the exact number. I know Apple did say that it takes 35.5 Gb to be able to update. Does it mean that i only have 31.5 GB free after the update?

Thank you so much

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 11:11 AM

In my opinion, 128GB and 256GB Boot drives are strictly for students, who are not going to store much of anything on their Macs.

If you bought one of those, and need additional storage but still need portability, you can add an external drive like one of these:

or these:

USB bus powered, approx actual size, 1/4-in thick.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2021 11:11 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

In my opinion, 128GB and 256GB Boot drives are strictly for students, who are not going to store much of anything on their Macs.

If you bought one of those, and need additional storage but still need portability, you can add an external drive like one of these:

or these:

USB bus powered, approx actual size, 1/4-in thick.

Mar 27, 2021 10:53 AM in response to SebastianDennis

If you are queasy about it, then DON'T upgrade. Big Sur adds some limitations that may make your life miserable.

MacOS and all Apps are only going to get bigger and bigger for the next few years, as "Universal Binaries" (containing BOTH Intel-code and ARM-code) become commonplace.

If you can 'get by' with what you are running now, be happy.

128 GB 2019 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.