Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Page layout in Pages for iPad

Working with “Bakers” horizontal template in page layout mode in iPad. Cannot get a vertical ruler, only horizontal on top. Guides is turned on, but cannot “pull” guides from the top into the page or from the left, where there is no ruler like in Pages on the Mac.

Most instructions are for Pages in a Mac. In the iPad there is no toolbar, and there is no Preferences. Rulers and Guides are turned on but not doing what they are supposed to.

is this the wrong template?

And about borders, Bakers template has no borders and thats exactly what i need but last answer from the community suggested that there is a margin? That would be reason enough NOT to design a picture book in Pages. IBooks was perfect! Pages is no substitute but Ill tinker with it a couple more days before giving up.

thanks to all who have provided suggestions!

manystories

iPad Mini 5, iPadOS 14

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 9:56 PM

manystories wrote:

A looks like I may be the only person who misses iBooks,

Many users have complained about the discontinuation of the iBooks Author app and the fact that Pages for Mac does not match its capabilities yet. Hopefully Apple will continue to upgrade what Pages for Mac can do.

My understanding is that anyone who is still running MacOS Catalina or lower and has iBooks Author installed can still create and publish books using it as they did before. Unfortunately iBA is not available for downloading since last summer.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2021 9:56 PM in response to manystories

manystories wrote:

A looks like I may be the only person who misses iBooks,

Many users have complained about the discontinuation of the iBooks Author app and the fact that Pages for Mac does not match its capabilities yet. Hopefully Apple will continue to upgrade what Pages for Mac can do.

My understanding is that anyone who is still running MacOS Catalina or lower and has iBooks Author installed can still create and publish books using it as they did before. Unfortunately iBA is not available for downloading since last summer.

Mar 27, 2021 11:01 AM in response to manystories

manystories wrote:

IBooks was perfect! Pages is no substitute but Ill tinker with it a couple more days before giving up.

Ibooks Author did not run on iPad's, only on Mac's. Pages for iPad is a lot less capable that Pages for Mac, which is what is supposed to replace iBA.

Your question seems to belong in a different forum, the one for iOS apps, I try to have it moved there.

https://support.apple.com/guide/pages-ipad/welcome/ipados

Mar 28, 2021 10:53 AM in response to manystories

manystories wrote: Would you know who I can ask whether we can still upload a book to iBooks?

I have not tried it myself, but I don't think I have seen anyone complain about not being able to do it with the iBooks Author app. You might want to look through the postings in the forum for that app

https://discussions.apple.com/community/apple-books-for-authors/ibooks_author

Mar 27, 2021 11:45 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks Tom, that explains everything.

is there any chance that Pages on the iPad v.14 could “accept” Pages documents created on Pages version 5.2 on my Mac? Will loose all my software if I upgrade, the idea was to have one Apple product up to date, not to start from scratch. I know that is not Apple’s idea, though.

thanks a lot for your help,

manystories

Mar 27, 2021 7:02 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks again, Tom. This is a picture book with images that bleed on more than one side of the page. I don.t think Word even allows nonmargin images. Looks like the best solution is to upgrade my Mac, but that is a huge decision with many consequences. I bought this Mac specifically to upload my books to iBooks, first book in2015, and two in 2016. never dreamed that 6 years later the software would disappear. But then again, 6 years is an eternity in the computer world. Ive had 5 Macs since 1993, never upgraded. Too scary.

At any rate thank you very much for your very helpful answers, looks like I may be the only person who misses iBooks,

many stories

Mar 28, 2021 10:02 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you Tom,

if we could still submit a book designed for iBooks, that would be heaven! This was going to be a set of 4 books, I wasnt able toget to the fourth on time, but have almost everything ready right now, would do a simpler version without sound just to complete the project.

Would you know who I can ask whether we can still upload a book to iBooks? I probably do not need Apple help if I follow the steps to upload the previous three. Just need to know before preparing the files, it.s still a lot of work (illustrations, bilingual copy, maybe ill skip the audio).

There were also some rumblings about converting iBooks books to Pages books, but with text that needs to NOT flow, widgets for sound all over the page, and a slightly different screen ratio, that seems like a recipe for disaster.

Although both iBooks and Pages are available for books which are mainly text as well as for image books, the truth is that they are mainly designed for the former. But image heavy books are very expensive to print, so here was a great alternative to have beautiful color, images without margins, the flipping feature, and our chance to see our work on screen, and perhaps sell a few. Apple is probably not thinking this way.

Thanks again for all your super useful information,

manystories

Mar 28, 2021 11:16 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you! Checked the book author community. Sounds like it could easily go wrong ... definitely not upgrading myMac, there are unexpected pitfalls at every step. Seems like the possibility to publish to iBooks with OS older than Catalina is still there, perhaps not possible to revise the book once its published, due to lack of support. But that would be fine. Hoping Apple eventually catches up or Im giving up.

thank you for guiding me through all the challenges!

many stories

Page layout in Pages for iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.