Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The all-new Logic Pro for iPad and Mac delivers breakthrough music-making experiences. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop my midi keyboard controlling Logic?

I recently bought a Launchkey keyboard but when I touch the faders and knobs it controls pans and volumes etc in Logic, I don't want this, how do I stop it happening? I don't want ANY control over any parameters, I just want the keyboard as a midi keyboard!

Many thanks in advance

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 2:14 PM

You can do that in Logic, but it requires a trip to the scary Environment Window:

• In Logic, open the Environment Window (cmd+0)
    • Select the Click & Ports Layer in the upper left corner
    • The Physical Input Object shows you all the connected MIDI Controller that are enabled in Logic (Preferences > MIDI > Inputs)
    • Usually, there is only one virtual MIDI Cable connected from the top labeld SUM to the input of the Sequencer Input (Logic Tracks Area). You can work with that cable or drag a separate cabel from your Launchkey if you have other MIDI Controllers that you don't want to be affected by the modification you are about to implement.
    • On the screenshot, I created a Transformer Object and Monitor Object (from the local New Menu) and connect the cable to have them in series.
    • Double-click on the Transformer Object to opne the Transformer Window and configure it to set a condition to filter out all the Continuous Control data above CC1 (in case you want the ModWheel go through). Follow the setting on the screenshot. If you know a bit about MIDI specs, then the settings should be clear and you can adjust it if needed.
    • I placed a Monitor Object after the Transformer Object just as a visual checkpoint to see if the filter works as expected.
    • As a result, all CC (except ModWheel) is filtered out and not reaching the Sequencer Intput. You can add additional Transformer Objects in series if you want to implement additional filters (Program Change, etc.)

Hope that helps,

Edgar R. (my "UserName")

Author of the best-selling book series "Graphically Enhanced Manuals" (endorsed by Apple)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2021 2:14 PM in response to kerochan

You can do that in Logic, but it requires a trip to the scary Environment Window:

• In Logic, open the Environment Window (cmd+0)
    • Select the Click & Ports Layer in the upper left corner
    • The Physical Input Object shows you all the connected MIDI Controller that are enabled in Logic (Preferences > MIDI > Inputs)
    • Usually, there is only one virtual MIDI Cable connected from the top labeld SUM to the input of the Sequencer Input (Logic Tracks Area). You can work with that cable or drag a separate cabel from your Launchkey if you have other MIDI Controllers that you don't want to be affected by the modification you are about to implement.
    • On the screenshot, I created a Transformer Object and Monitor Object (from the local New Menu) and connect the cable to have them in series.
    • Double-click on the Transformer Object to opne the Transformer Window and configure it to set a condition to filter out all the Continuous Control data above CC1 (in case you want the ModWheel go through). Follow the setting on the screenshot. If you know a bit about MIDI specs, then the settings should be clear and you can adjust it if needed.
    • I placed a Monitor Object after the Transformer Object just as a visual checkpoint to see if the filter works as expected.
    • As a result, all CC (except ModWheel) is filtered out and not reaching the Sequencer Intput. You can add additional Transformer Objects in series if you want to implement additional filters (Program Change, etc.)

Hope that helps,

Edgar R. (my "UserName")

Author of the best-selling book series "Graphically Enhanced Manuals" (endorsed by Apple)

Mar 27, 2021 2:53 PM in response to kerochan

THe simple way is to use the Input FIlter in the Logic Project Settings, but that applies to all incoming MIDI Messages. If you want to filter out messages from specific MIDI Controllers, then you have to configure the Environment.

BTW, in the Peripherals Dialog of Pro Tools, you only define the MIDI COntroller that you want to use as a Control Surface, but you can't filter out specific CC messages. PT just works differently and the CC7 and CC10 are note routed directly to the corresponding Channel Strip controls as in Logic. It is also not possible to filter out MIDI Messages for speicifc MIDI COntrolers connected and enabled in your Session.

Another option to de-tangle the CC7/10 routing to the Chanel Strip controls is to disable the checkbox "Control Change 7/10 controls Volume/Pan of channel strip obejcts" in the Project Settings > MIDI > General.

Other than that, the Device selection and the (general) MIDI INput FIlter is similar in Pro TOols and Logic. On the screenshot, Pro TOols is on the left and Logic on the right.

Mar 28, 2021 12:15 AM in response to kerochan

Hi There, found the answer in case anyone else needs to know.

Open Logic, go to CONTROL SURFACE, then SET UP, select your midi device on the right, double click till you see DELETE, then hit delete. sorted.

Now all your midi keyboard can do is trigger the instrument/midi tracks.

Now I can use my midi controller to control Universal audio Console without it change stuff in Logic.

How do I stop my midi keyboard controlling Logic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.