Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini fan not working

The fan of a Mac Mini Server mid 2011 is probably not working:

• Test 1: application Mac Fan control shows: 0 rpm/100°C /average CPU), on full blast no reaction
  • Test 2: Mac diagnostics (option + D) shows: all sensors past test

Question: does replacing the fan solves the problem ?

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 27, 2021 10:25 PM

11 replies

Mar 29, 2021 6:35 AM in response to den.thed

Ladies and Gentleman, please do not punish me.

The Mini is back running with the "old" fan.

After reading your note, den.thed, I dismantled the fan and was wondering why I did not have to detach the cable.

It was not attached. I have no clue when and why that happened.

While replacing the RAM, I did not touch the fan.

The first and last time before that the body was opened to replace one HDD right after I bought the Mini in 2011.

However, with your help, I was able to solve the problem.

Thank's a lot.

Mar 28, 2021 9:42 AM in response to CAAN

There is no way to get a dependable reading to capture the signal to the fan. You will probably not have the right tools to do so and will not be able to create a working condition to conduct the task and run a test.

The good news is that the odds are in your favor since the fan is the most likely thing that will go out, after a period of time, vs the electrical component that sends the signal. I recommend that if the price of the Fan fits within your economic budget then do it. Keep us posted about your progress please. Thanks.

Axel F.

Mar 28, 2021 11:08 PM in response to den.thed

Thank you for your support so far.

I ordered a fan and will give an update after being installed.

It might be of interest what I noticed prior to detecting that the fan is not working.

The Mini was upgraded from 4 to 16 GB two weeks ago, knowing that 8 GB are supported by Apple.

The upgrade went through without any problems.

The difference in speed was quite remarkable. But after running e.g. a video in HD format and then opening a digital darkroom app the Mini became very slow; two times the Mini shut down without notice. It took me a while to detect that the fan was causing the problem.

So, hopefully the high temperature has caused no damage.

The Mini is running so far but now waiting for the fan.

Mac Mini fan not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.