Fan on 2014 Mac mini

the fan on the 2014 Mac mini won't come on on its own I can turn on using an app runs fine, when I do apple hardware test it ramps up no issue and passes all test,but as soon as I restart and run operating system fan doesn't come on unless I use istat menus to turn on no fan at idol so strange any ideas tried sec reset no help ?

Mac mini

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2023 1:27 PM

Do you have more that one Fan Control App installed on the Mac mini?

What is the default fan speed set at in iStat Menus?

I would uninstall iStat Menus and any other Fan Control apps as per the developers instructions and then reset the Mac mini’s SMC.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer’s power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer’s power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

FWIW I do not use iStat Menus, I have used MacFamControl on all of my iMac’s and Mac mini’s for nearly 20 years.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2023 1:27 PM in response to dantcook

Do you have more that one Fan Control App installed on the Mac mini?

What is the default fan speed set at in iStat Menus?

I would uninstall iStat Menus and any other Fan Control apps as per the developers instructions and then reset the Mac mini’s SMC.

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer’s power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer’s power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

FWIW I do not use iStat Menus, I have used MacFamControl on all of my iMac’s and Mac mini’s for nearly 20 years.

Apr 22, 2023 1:21 PM in response to dantcook

I'd suggest that if the fan passes the diagnostic tests but still doesn't come on, then the Mac does not sense the need to turn it on. The Mac fan doesn't run all the time, only when temperature sensors detect the need.

EDIT - If you'd like to monitor the temperature of the Mac, the Macs Fan Control app can do that for you. And if controlling the fan yourself would ease your anxiety, the app also gives you that ability.

Warning - never set the fan speed below the recommended limits.

(Thanks, BDAqua.)

Fan on 2014 Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.