Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari: can't take screenshots from Udemy

Hello everyone.

I use to follow courses on Udemy and I used to take screenshots (with keys combination Cmd+Shift+5) of videos to make some kind of presentation for myself.

This perfectly worked until recent time. Now, if a try to take a screenshot of a playing video, I get a black image, with the white "playing triangle" if video is paused.

My first idea was that Udemy had introduced some kind of control forbidding to take screenshots, but if open videos in Chrome I can still take pictures of screen.

This strange behavior on Safari figures out only on Udemy (I made an attempt with YouTube).

Does anyone know what happened with Safari?

Thanks for support.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 2:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2021 2:13 PM

I am using my phone to take photos of screens that I want to add to my notes. Annoying.

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 8, 2021 4:42 AM in response to ubisum

Hi, this is a new feature Udemy has implemented.

Their videos are now DRM protected, making learning harder, almost impossible without taking notes via taking screenshot.

I hate them for that. Really.

You can still use Mozzila Firefox on Mac - taking screenshots is still working on my computer. (OS Catalina).

Shame on Udemy. Shame on DRM. Shame on FPS.

We are not stealing content, we want to use, what we have paid for!!!!

Mar 29, 2021 12:32 PM in response to ubisum

Greetings ubisum,

It sounds like you are having issues taking a screenshot on your Mac computer. We know how important this is for you, and you’re in the right place to find a resolution.

Have you tried a normal restart of the device? This simple step can resolve issues like this.

Restart your Mac

If still having issues, then we recommend updating your Mac to the latest version of the macOS.

How to update the software on your Mac

Cheers!

Mar 31, 2021 7:06 AM in response to ubisum

ubisum,

Thanks for the additional information regarding your taking screenshots while using Safari issue.

The next step is to follow the How to turn off or uninstall extensions section in the How to install Safari extensions on your Mac article and see if that resolves your issue.

You may also want to check out the Protect your Mac from malware and What is malware on Mac articles too.

If you need continued assistance, then please reach out to our AppleCare phone support team via this link: Get Support.

All the best!

Mar 30, 2021 1:08 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi, thanks for your answer.

Currently, my operative system is updated to version 11.2.3 (Big Sur) and there's no other update available.

I took a look at possible updates for Safari from Apple Store, but at the moment no application needs to be forwarded to a new version.

Actually, my opinion since a couple of weeks is that it was a recent MacOS update to introduce the problem, since it appeared suddenly.

Safari always had problems in playing Udemy's videos, for a reason that is not clearly to me yet. Every time I clicked on playing icon, the video didn't start and the only way to start it was clicking on progress bar, a few seconds after the beginning of video.

Have you got any alternative idea?

Thanks.

Apr 8, 2021 2:10 PM in response to Animalson

Hi, thanks for your answer.

My initial idea was exactly the one you expressed, it was really weird to see the possibility of screenshots vanish suddenly.

Anyway, I guess they will try to implement the same kind of limitations for other browsers.

I currently can still take sceenshots with Chrome, but how long will it last?

Safari: can't take screenshots from Udemy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.