Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why FCPX is deleting my proxies on launch?

Hello all

Hope someone can help with this issue. I've been sent an FCPX project to work on. The original media was removed to reduce the size and just the proxies were left in the bundle.

The bundle is 2.38GB. If I right click and view content I can see there are proxy files in the process folder.

When I open it, FCPX scans the bundle and pops up and alert saying "One or more files could not be relinked" and details of what's missing. Click ok and I get a 2nd alert "One or more files could not be relinked" with more details. Click ok.

Now all the proxies have been deleted from the bundle. The bundle is not just 434MB.

Why would this be? Why would FCPX delete files? Why would it do so without asking permission?

System details:

MacBook Pro 16" - 2.3GHz Core i9 - 16GB RAM

macOS 10.15.7

FCPX 10.5.2

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 8:49 AM

A few hours of fighting with this and I've found a workaround / fix of sorts. Thought I'd post it here as it might help others.

Before opening the FCPX bundle (and having all the proxies deleted), I right clicked on the FCPX bundle and selected "Show Package Contents". Then move all the proxy media out of the bundle to a new folder.

I then deleted all the render files in the bundle. Now the FCPX bundle is 6MB. Open it in FCPX, no alerts this time but all media is offline. Select all media in the event and then select "Relink Proxies" from the file menu. Point FCPX to the folder of proxies that were moved out of the bundle and let it run the relink process.

Seems to have relinked everything ok. I then select "Consolidate Event Media" to bring all those proxies back into the bundle.

Seems to have sorted the issue.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2021 8:49 AM in response to Adman_Rob

A few hours of fighting with this and I've found a workaround / fix of sorts. Thought I'd post it here as it might help others.

Before opening the FCPX bundle (and having all the proxies deleted), I right clicked on the FCPX bundle and selected "Show Package Contents". Then move all the proxy media out of the bundle to a new folder.

I then deleted all the render files in the bundle. Now the FCPX bundle is 6MB. Open it in FCPX, no alerts this time but all media is offline. Select all media in the event and then select "Relink Proxies" from the file menu. Point FCPX to the folder of proxies that were moved out of the bundle and let it run the relink process.

Seems to have relinked everything ok. I then select "Consolidate Event Media" to bring all those proxies back into the bundle.

Seems to have sorted the issue.

Mar 28, 2021 11:13 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I did not move the originals. The client did to keep the bundle size down to to send it to me. I only need to work with the proxies. I get that it would have linkage problems with the originals but it should not delete the proxies.

I've consolidated the proxies back into the bundle so I can send the project back once I've done my edit but I guess I could simple get the client to reimport the footage or just send them an XML that they can import into the original project.

Why FCPX is deleting my proxies on launch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.