Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All apps have camera “off” why is a green light still on the face of the IPhone?

All apps have camera “off” why is a green light still on the face of the IPhone?

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Mar 28, 2021 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 1:33 PM

Hello Easyover,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about a green dot appearing when the camera is not being used. To be sure we're on the same page, is this the green dot you're seeing: About the orange and green indicators in your iPhone status bar

You mention all apps having the camera off, do you mean access to the camera in the Privacy settings: Control access to hardware features on iPhone

Have you checked to see which apps are open when you see the dot appear? If not, double-check what's open, and quit any app that could use the camera. Apps such as Social Media, the built-in Camera app, etc.: Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch

If you still see the green dot, restart your iPhone to see if that helps. Restarting can resolve many odd issues: Restart your iPhone

Keep us posted.

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2021 1:33 PM in response to Easyover

Hello Easyover,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about a green dot appearing when the camera is not being used. To be sure we're on the same page, is this the green dot you're seeing: About the orange and green indicators in your iPhone status bar

You mention all apps having the camera off, do you mean access to the camera in the Privacy settings: Control access to hardware features on iPhone

Have you checked to see which apps are open when you see the dot appear? If not, double-check what's open, and quit any app that could use the camera. Apps such as Social Media, the built-in Camera app, etc.: Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch

If you still see the green dot, restart your iPhone to see if that helps. Restarting can resolve many odd issues: Restart your iPhone

Keep us posted.

Take care.

Apr 22, 2021 5:03 PM in response to Easyover

I am having this same issue. The phone will be asleep and when I tap the screen to wake it I see the green dot indicating that the camera is in use. I immediately unlock my phone and swipe down Control Center to see what has used the camera recently and it never show anything. After about 5 seconds the green dot disappears. No apps on my phone are allowed access to my camera, and typically only Phone, Messages and Mail are open in the background. This has happened only a handful of times in the last year, but it makes me nervous. I have an iPhone XS running iOS 14.4.2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.