Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration when experiencing an OS issue on old MAC

Since the last two updates to Big Sur (11.2.3) my current Mac Pro has bogged down considerably because of a kernel_task issue that is using 1225% of my resources. I've tried finding the culprit program causing this with no use. Considering the age of my machine I've decided to just buy a new 13" Mac Pro laptop to replace it. My question is, considering I am having this issue, is it safe for me to use Mirgration to transfer the contents of my old to the new or will I just be exporting my headache from one machine to the other? Would it be safer to just migrate files and re-install applications from scratch on the new?

Mac Pro, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 6:52 AM

5 replies

Mar 29, 2021 9:46 AM in response to phillipfromdc

On your Mac Pro download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Migration when experiencing an OS issue on old MAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.