Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage shows email of a contact instead of their phone number

Hi there,

For some of my contacts, when I start a new iMessage on my phone, and use the “to”

field to search for a contact, it only shows their email and not their phone number. It’s so frustrating. The only way to start a text message with them is to open their contact info and select “send message” icon button.

I have iCloud contacts turned on. I tried toggling on and off. My phone is on auto backup and auto download of new software so everything is always backed up and software up to date. I’ve checked if I can make the phone number the main default way to contact the person but there’s no option for that. I’ve even tried removing the email so only the phone number is on the contact but if I do that, then the contact doesn’t come up at all when starting a new text message and searching using the “to” field.

Please help. This is a really frustrating issue.

Thank you!

iPhone XR

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2021 6:10 PM

I don’t understand this because I can send him a text message if I open his contact info and select the send message icon. Then a text message opens his phone number.

The issue is that when I’m in the messages, and I select the start new message icon, and use the “to” field to search for his contact, only his email comes up. Again, I can still send him a text message if I open up his contact info from the contacts app. But I don’t want to have to do it this way every time.. and I shouldn’t have to.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2021 6:10 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I don’t understand this because I can send him a text message if I open his contact info and select the send message icon. Then a text message opens his phone number.

The issue is that when I’m in the messages, and I select the start new message icon, and use the “to” field to search for his contact, only his email comes up. Again, I can still send him a text message if I open up his contact info from the contacts app. But I don’t want to have to do it this way every time.. and I shouldn’t have to.

iMessage shows email of a contact instead of their phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.