Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fried sound card - repair or add external?

After a nearbly lightning strike, my stereo receiver and iMac's sound card both seem to be toast. They were connected via a RCA cable > 1/8" plug to the Mac's headphone jack. Now, System Prefs >Sound shows "no output devices found", and About This Mac > System Report > Audio shows nothing.

I've run through the recommended fixes, and Diagnostic restart shows no error.

Is it worth my trying to have this repaired, or should I simply buy an external sound card/DAC? My insurance sounds like it will likely cover either option, though I'd rather not go to my nearest Apple Store (1 hr. drive) and have to leave the computer for who knows how long....

Thanks!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 8:39 AM

There is no separate sound card like old tower PC's in Mac. The sound portion is integrated onto the main logic board so if you want a repair done you would need to install a new main logic board which is quite expensive. Going forward ensure to keep your electronics on a VERY high quality surge protector and even better to turn them off and disconnect the power during lightening storms.

Depending on the age of the computer, you may want to consider replacing it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2021 8:39 AM in response to jotis

There is no separate sound card like old tower PC's in Mac. The sound portion is integrated onto the main logic board so if you want a repair done you would need to install a new main logic board which is quite expensive. Going forward ensure to keep your electronics on a VERY high quality surge protector and even better to turn them off and disconnect the power during lightening storms.

Depending on the age of the computer, you may want to consider replacing it.

Mar 30, 2021 10:08 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks for the reply. I did have the computer plugged into a surge protector, but *not* the stereo, so... live and learn, I guess. Lightning isn't that common where I live, esp. this early in the year.

I doubt my insurance co. will be too happy with replacing the computer, so it sounds like adding an external DAC may be the way to go.

fried sound card - repair or add external?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.