Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

McAfee Security Suite and red bars on screen

I installed McAfee Security Suite on my MBP and then uninstalled ad it caused my machine to run sloooowly. I was left with a red banner at the top and bottom of my MBP screen. These bars do not disappear when I change the background photo making me think something was installed onto the drive or system itself. I am including a photo and I need help to get rid of these bars as I use this machine for screen grabs in teaching and video projects.

MBP-13" 2017, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, running OS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 10:22 AM

ArEss Said:

"McAfee Security Suite and red bars on screen: I've done all the above, even contacted McAfee and they were unsuccessful in their response."

-------

What to Try:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

See if this now works

B. Try Another User:

Create a new administrator user, and see if you get this error. If you do, then it is likely an issue of the macOS as a whole. If you do not get this issue, then is it likely an issue with the users your are using while reporting this.

C. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. uninstallations), system configurations (i.e. for the GUI) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2021 10:22 AM in response to ArEss

ArEss Said:

"McAfee Security Suite and red bars on screen: I've done all the above, even contacted McAfee and they were unsuccessful in their response."

-------

What to Try:

A. Try Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and corrupt system files(i.e. caches) are intentionally reset as a way to fix issues

1. Boot: in to Safe Mode: [Hold Down: shift key upon boot].
  2. Log in: as same user
  3. Wait: 30 seconds
  4. Restart; your Mac
  5. Log in: as same user

See if this now works

B. Try Another User:

Create a new administrator user, and see if you get this error. If you do, then it is likely an issue of the macOS as a whole. If you do not get this issue, then is it likely an issue with the users your are using while reporting this.

C. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. uninstallations), system configurations (i.e. for the GUI) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Try performing each thrice. It may take sometime, being certain you have the time to perform these resets.

Mar 30, 2021 10:37 AM in response to ArEss

Have you a) run the uninstaller and then b) booted into recovery mode and erased the entire drive (and then reinstall the OS from scratch)? Make sure you have a backup of all of your files first because you will lose everything. And only transfer back your own files so as not to port back any settings to do with that software.

And, if/when everything is back to where it should be, I would use the screenshots to inform the developer that they should not be making available any version of their software claiming to work with Macs. You might also want them to read this which was implemented in Catalina:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210650

That means no one has access to the read only OS and system which makes that stuff irrelevant.

Mar 30, 2021 9:41 AM in response to ArEss

ArEss Said:

"McAfee Security Suite and red bars on screen: I installed McAfee Security Suite on my MBP and then uninstalled ad it caused my machine to run sloooowly. I was left with a red banner at the top and bottom of my MBP screen.[...]"

-------

Restart the Mac:

Start by restarting the Mac.

Use the Uninstaller?:

Did you use the uninstaller? Or did you just drag it into the Trash? If you just drag it to the Trash, then it would leave caches (i.e. system settings) laying about your Mac. Hate to say it, but you'd have to:

1. Reinstall: McAfee
  2. Restart: the Mac
  3. Run: the Uninstaller
  4. Restart: the Mac

McAfee Security Suite and red bars on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.