Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone know what could have happened to my MacBook Pro?

My Mac suddenly just would not turn back on after not using it for a couple days. It keeps trying to turn on but it will repeat the startup chime with either a dimly lit screen or with the Apple logo but it never actually turns on. I’ve tried resetting the PRAM and SMC but neither seems to work. Apple Support says I just need to get it replaced. Does anybody know what could have happened to it? It was working perfectly fine before it died a day or two ago.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 10:29 AM

Devon0318 Said:

"Anyone know what could have happened to my MacBook Pro?: My Mac suddenly just would not turn back on after not using it for a couple days. It keeps trying to turn on but it will repeat the startup chime with either a dimly lit screen or with the Apple logo but it never actually turns on."

-------

Troubleshooting Power:

A. Please Clarify:

• Is it charging?
  • Did you install an update?
  • Have you had battery issues?
  • Has this Mac been serviced recently?
  • What were you working on when this happened?

B. Try a New Charger:

If it is charing from an external device, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2021 10:29 AM in response to Devon0318

Devon0318 Said:

"Anyone know what could have happened to my MacBook Pro?: My Mac suddenly just would not turn back on after not using it for a couple days. It keeps trying to turn on but it will repeat the startup chime with either a dimly lit screen or with the Apple logo but it never actually turns on."

-------

Troubleshooting Power:

A. Please Clarify:

• Is it charging?
  • Did you install an update?
  • Have you had battery issues?
  • Has this Mac been serviced recently?
  • What were you working on when this happened?

B. Try a New Charger:

If it is charing from an external device, then use a new charger:

C. A Few Links to Refer to Power:

Mar 30, 2021 10:12 AM in response to Devon0318

Sounds like it may have suffered some sort of hardware failure. You have tried the things that I would have suggested to try to get it to boot. You can check out If your Mac doesn't turn on - Apple Support and see if that might work for you. If that doesn't work either, then you're most likely going to have to take it to either an Apple store and have them look at it at the Genius Bar or to a certified Apple service center and have them take a look at it to see if there is something they can do or get information on what it is going to cost to get it fixed.

Mar 30, 2021 10:29 AM in response to Devon0318

Devon0318 Said:

-------

External Keyboard:

Use an external keyboard to perform the resets. You might need one of these: USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Safe Mode:

Also, boot up in Safe Mode [Hold Down: shift key upon boot. In Safe Mode, login items do not run, and preferences are set aside for a more successful reboot.

Anyone know what could have happened to my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.