Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to change my Apple ID from Gmail to by creating a new email with @Icloud.com without losing my data on iCloud

I want to change my Apple ID from current Gmail to by creating a new email with @Icloud.com without losing my data on iCloud.

I have not created new e mail with ICloud.com. Do I have to create one before changing? If yes then do I have to wait to 30 days before using it?

Or can I create one while changing the apple id e mail? which is better way to do it.

Please guide me how to do it.

Thanks

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 11:44 AM

11 replies

Mar 31, 2021 11:59 AM in response to ARP966

Hi ARP966,

We see you'd like to edit your Apple ID email address from a Gmail to a iCloud without creating a new account or losing any data.

While you can edit your Apple ID from one third-party email account to another, there is not an option to create a new primary @iCloud.com email on an existing account. You can however create an iCloud alias, allowing you to hide or change your email you send and receive email from, but there is not an option to make an alias a primary Apple ID.

Take care.

Apr 5, 2021 5:19 PM in response to ARP966

Based on what I have read, I suggest you leave your Apple ID email address as a 3rd party email address because you have more flexibility if you need to change the email address. For example, if the Apple ID got compromised, you can change it to another address. I also have read of many people who were locked out of their accounts when they forgot their password. Since the recovery email address is the @iCloud email address, if you forget your password, you also can't access your email to get emails from Apple to recover your account. You can set a rescue email address, but for some people, this hasn't worked.

Apr 5, 2021 10:58 AM in response to ARP966

ARP966,

That wouldn't be advised as services synced through iCloud such as Contacts, Calendars, Notes, iCloud Drive, iCloud Photos, etc would not transfer to a new Apple ID. Nor would purchases associated with the original account. In order to manage that information or those purchases, you would need to sign back into the original account.

Additionally, if you delete the original Apple ID, the data and purchases associated with the Apple ID would be lost.

If you'd like to change the email address used to contact others, the best recommendation would be to use an alias.

Cheers!

I want to change my Apple ID from Gmail to by creating a new email with @Icloud.com without losing my data on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.