Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad Not Right

I have a MacBook Pro 2020 13 Inch 256GB laptop, but having bought it in late July 2020 from Currys PC World, it seems to have developed a fault.

The internal trackpad intermittently seems to 'sticks' to the point where it doesn't click at all on any point of the trackpad, and, while it still works with some fiddling, it makes it considerably awkward to use.

Having asked a question on here recently, someone suggested that it could be food or dust under the keyboard. I don't eat around mine and dust, there could be, but the gap to get through the edge of the trackpad is almost non existent, so trying with compressed air didn't do anything.

I have noticed something that has begun to look more like a pattern though. The problem seems to happen now most times, if not nearly every time, when I leave it on sleep mode, (when I press the finger print scanner). Admittedly, I have left it on this mode for anywhere up to 5-6 days before, but the problem never happened when I first started doing this. Having read about similar things on other internet articles, it seems like leaving it on sleep mode doesn't have any very bad effects on it. Although, having just turned it on to type this question from when it was shut down, the trackpad was already doing it.

And when it does work as it should do again, there doesn't seem to be any reason as to why it does, its just as spontaneous as when it goes in the first place...

As I bought it from Currys PC World, I do have the option to send it in for repair, as the initial 'swap' guarantee has obviously elapsed. I thought it would be good to ask here for an opinion before I can make a decision, hopefully someone can give me some guidance on what I could or should do...

Cheers.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 3:55 PM

The battery is usually underneath the Trackpad and it could be swelling, causing it to press up against the Trackpad. I would take it in to have it looked at. If you have an Apple Store nearby, that's where I would take it. It should still be under warranty.

Similar questions

1 reply

Trackpad Not Right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.