Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

continual macbook air (2018) trackpad issue

I own a 2018 MacBook Air which I have had for 4 months or so now.

Issue: the trackpad loses its ability to click with one finger. I can move my finger around the trackpad but I can't select any item or click on any buttons or apps or menus. I can still use two fingers to prompt a double-click.

Occurrence: this has been an off and on occurring issue for the past two or three weeks and has gotten progressively worse; it happens multiple times a day now. It also tends to happen after I wake up the computer from sleep. Sometimes it will linger through a power down and I will have to shut it down multiple times to get it to stop.

What I've tried:

1) powered down computer with Touch ID key (will occasionally solve issue temporarily)

2) reset SMC (never seems to do anything with issue)

3) reset PRAM (has solved the issue occasionally)

4) run the diagnostic by pressing D during boot up sequence. No issue is ever found. And this seems to resolve the issue temporarily until it happens again

I do not have any login items that start that I am aware of when the computer is booting. I'm at my wits end and not sure what to do. I moved from my trust 2009 13" MacBook Pro which worked tirelessly and without problems to this MBA 2018 which now has this continuous trackpad issue.

Any other suggestions I should try before I make an appointment at the apple store?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 4:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2019 5:33 PM

Hello,

It sounds like you’ve done just about everything to troubleshoot your trackpad.

Contact AppleCare

Similar questions

1 reply

continual macbook air (2018) trackpad issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.