Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not working in OS X Big Sur

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply
8 replies

Apr 5, 2021 7:59 AM in response to PRP_53

This is not the problem. My problem is that messages app won't even open on my macbook now after updating to Big Sur. Is there any solution to this? I've seen this comment online everywhere since the update was made available but the solutions require me to go into Messages > Preferences but that is the issue, I can't access messages at all. Please advise.

Apr 5, 2021 8:06 AM in response to jmedlen327

Two possible methods to determine things. Restart computer in Safe Mode - Shift - immediately at startup. It will do a Repair Disk, clear cache files and Only Load Apple Software so loads slowly. Once Logged In - attempt to launch Messages. Does it launch? If Yes, there is some Third Party software playing up I or something in your User Account.

Other method - in Normal Boot - Keyboard - Control - and mouse Click Messages and see if it will launch

Apr 23, 2021 8:45 AM in response to Deep-Anchor

I've just updated to the latest version and it is still not working. Broke after update 11.1 and has remained broken since among other issues. All devices are on the current OS. iPad Pro and iPhone 11? Sync no issues.

Additionally, I'm finding that when I use iMessage on my MBP it ends up breaking the settings on my other devices, overwrites which people I have pinned, and I can't send SMS. Totally useless on here.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.