Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Only cracked back glass in iPhone 8 plus

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 1:11 PM

Glass is glass and glass breaks if it falls on a hard surface hard enough. Accidental damage is NOT covered under standard warranty. And the back glass on iPhone is fused to the phone and it cannot be replaced.

Your options are to either purchase an Out of Warranty replacement for about 60% of the cost of the phone when new or if you bought an AppleCare+ plan within the first 60 days of when you purchased the phone, you can exercise a replacement at a greatly reduced price.

Here is a link which details the prices (in the US) --> iPhone Repair - Official Apple Support

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2021 1:11 PM in response to bhargavi26

Glass is glass and glass breaks if it falls on a hard surface hard enough. Accidental damage is NOT covered under standard warranty. And the back glass on iPhone is fused to the phone and it cannot be replaced.

Your options are to either purchase an Out of Warranty replacement for about 60% of the cost of the phone when new or if you bought an AppleCare+ plan within the first 60 days of when you purchased the phone, you can exercise a replacement at a greatly reduced price.

Here is a link which details the prices (in the US) --> iPhone Repair - Official Apple Support

Mar 31, 2021 5:00 AM in response to bhargavi26

That phone did NOT shatter from a 1 ft fall, so don't even try to suggest such a scenario.

And if you want Apple to rethink their design, tell Apple. You are NOT addressing Apple here. This is user to user only.

You can provide feedback to Apple via this link --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

As to whether you buy Apple again. As users we honestly don't care if you do or don't. But be advised that Samsung, LG, Huawei, Google ALL have glass backed phones, which can and DO break if they sustain a hard fall.

I said it before and I'll say it again. You are blaming the wrong party. You clearly didn't invest a few dollars in a protective case. You damaged your phone. YOU.

Mar 30, 2021 1:09 PM in response to bhargavi26

The back glass is fused to the iPhone frame, Apple does not "fix" this they replace the entire iPhone. There are supposed to be some 3rd party repair sites that can laser cut the back glass and affix a replacement, check to find one of them. Keep in mind if you go that route you may not be able to receive service from Apple in the future on that device. I've only seen one iPhone 8 that had this done and it was frankly pretty ugly. They decided to put it in a non-clear case instead. You could do the same and save the money if they iPhone is otherwise working properly.

Mar 30, 2021 3:41 PM in response to bhargavi26

Why don't you tell us how to make glass which can't be broken? Since you seem to object to the design, you can also tell us how to make a phone which can be charged wirelessly, without glass? I can answer both questions. Glass is glass and glass can be broken. And the back of the phone requires a glass back to permit wireless charging. A metal backed phone won't charge wirelessly.

Your anger is completely misplaced. Apple didn't break your phone. YOU broke your phone. No one but YOU. You should have put your expensive phone is a protective case. But you didn't and you're now here wanting to blame Apple. From the photo you showed, your phone sustained a VERY hard drop. Very hard indeed.

Mar 30, 2021 11:36 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Yes Glass is Glass and it can be easily brock but my point is that if we all know glass is easily tempered by just fall from 1 ft height. My question why devices are not made sustainable by just making changeable part in back glass.

this is totally unfavourable for consumers that if ones external body is damaged one needs to changed whole IPhone even iPhone working 100% ok.

I just want say from experience that Apple should rethink for design and make more sustainable and part should be replaceable or repair

Only cracked back glass in iPhone 8 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.