Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linking iTunes Remote on my iPhone with my Music Library on my iMac

Having a tough time reconnecting my iTunes remote on my iPhone with my Music app on my iMac, so that I can control those songs remotely. Been while since I’ve done this. Apple tells me the following:

“In the Music app on your Mac, click the Remote button under Devices in the sidebar, then type the 4-digit code.”

I cannot find either the Remote button or the “Devices in the sidebar. Any help would be appreciated. Using Big Sur 11.2.3 on the desktop; iOS 14.4.1 on my new iPhone SE. Thanks for any help!

iMac 27″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Mar 30, 2021 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 2:15 PM

MarkinMaryland,

Thank you for outlining your experience with the iTunes Remote app, it definitely helps us see from your perspective. When we worked through the process on our end, we deleted the Remote app from our iPhone and it disappeared from the Music app sidebar. Then we re-downloaded iTunes Remote app and chose "Connect Manually" and gave it permission to access devices on the same network. The iPhone immediately popped up in the Music sidebar.

Do you see the little arrow with a circle around it showing in #3 of the article we shared? That is the Remote button. It should be appearing just in front of your iPhone name in the Devices list in sidebar. If it isn't, you might try deleting the Remote app and it's data - then redownloading it. Deleting it will cause your iTunes Remote app settings to reset.

Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When we clicked the little Remote button, the main Music pane switched to a page prompting us to enter the 4-digit code displaying on our iPhone. You shouldn't have to use Home Sharing to get it to connect.

Good luck!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2021 2:15 PM in response to MarkinMaryland

MarkinMaryland,

Thank you for outlining your experience with the iTunes Remote app, it definitely helps us see from your perspective. When we worked through the process on our end, we deleted the Remote app from our iPhone and it disappeared from the Music app sidebar. Then we re-downloaded iTunes Remote app and chose "Connect Manually" and gave it permission to access devices on the same network. The iPhone immediately popped up in the Music sidebar.

Do you see the little arrow with a circle around it showing in #3 of the article we shared? That is the Remote button. It should be appearing just in front of your iPhone name in the Devices list in sidebar. If it isn't, you might try deleting the Remote app and it's data - then redownloading it. Deleting it will cause your iTunes Remote app settings to reset.

Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When we clicked the little Remote button, the main Music pane switched to a page prompting us to enter the 4-digit code displaying on our iPhone. You shouldn't have to use Home Sharing to get it to connect.

Good luck!

Mar 31, 2021 1:09 PM in response to MarkinMaryland

Hello, MarkinMaryland.

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We understand that you haven’t been able to get your iPhone to connect with the Music app on your Mac to utilize your iPhone as a remote. Have you had a chance to download the iTunes Remote app on your iPhone? You’ll need to have the app downloaded and your iPhone and Mac on the same Wi-Fi network and signed in with the same Apple ID. When you first open the iTunes Remote app you should be prompted to approve access to other devices on your network. This is when you should see your iPhone pop up in Devices in the sidebar of the Music app.

Follow the steps outlined in “Pair iTunes Remote with your media library” here:

Set up the iTunes Remote app for Music on Mac - Apple Support

Warmest Regards.

Mar 31, 2021 1:41 PM in response to Ali_E1

I have used Apple Remote for many years, first with iTunes and then with Music. I keep following the directions, but hitting a dead end. I get the 4-digit code on my iPhone, but cannot find any place to type it in on my iMac. Apple’s online guide says: “In the Music app on your Mac, click the Remote button under Devices in the sidebar, then type the 4-digit code.” But in Music on my iMac, I see my iPhone listed under Devices, but cannot find any Remote button. The only graphic elements listed alongside my iPhone is an outline of the phone on the left (clicking on it doesn’t do anything) and the underlined “eject” triangle on the right, which only removes the phone from my Music Devices list. So I guess my basic question is—where do I type in the 4-digit code on my iMac? Secondly, do I need to have Home Sharing on for this to work? I have tried it repeatedly with it on or off, without success. Appreciate any help you can offer.

Linking iTunes Remote on my iPhone with my Music Library on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.