Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Related Article: Find saved passwords and passkeys on your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to check a password of a mail account on iPad

I have an old email account, it is working fine on iPad.

I need to access it from another device but do not know the password.

It is not listed under Passwords on iPad.

When I look at the mail account definition, I do not know how to access password that iPad uses to retrieve mail.

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 10:50 AM

Unless you have separately recorded your email account details in your Keychain, you’ll not be able to read/recover the email password from your email account settings.

You will need to recover your email password from your email provider. Be aware that you will very likely need to follow their “lost password” procedures - and completely reset your password. Having done so, all your devices will need to be updated with the new account password.

If your email provider is actually able to “tell you” what the password was, you would be well advised to find a different provider. Any provider that can recover a clear-text password is not operating a secure system. Without delving into the complexities of good Information Security practice, suffice to say that account passwords should not be stored in a reversible form.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2021 10:50 AM in response to nermin18

Unless you have separately recorded your email account details in your Keychain, you’ll not be able to read/recover the email password from your email account settings.

You will need to recover your email password from your email provider. Be aware that you will very likely need to follow their “lost password” procedures - and completely reset your password. Having done so, all your devices will need to be updated with the new account password.

If your email provider is actually able to “tell you” what the password was, you would be well advised to find a different provider. Any provider that can recover a clear-text password is not operating a secure system. Without delving into the complexities of good Information Security practice, suffice to say that account passwords should not be stored in a reversible form.

Mar 31, 2021 10:35 AM in response to nermin18

nermin18 wrote:

I have an old email account, it is working fine on iPad.
I need to access it from another device but do not know the password.

It is not listed under Passwords on iPad.
When I look at the mail account definition, I do not know how to access password that iPad uses to retrieve mail.

What does your mail provider say on how to retrieve email password, or their support site?

How to check a password of a mail account on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.