Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS

My iMacis 10 years old. It tells me there are no updates to the OS, which leads me to believe that I have maxed out the operating capacity with the version of OS that it is currently running. I Just purchased a Mac mini, will I be able to transfer the data from my iMac to the Mac mini even though it has that old high sierra operating system?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 12:19 PM

Jazzylis Said:

"I Just purchased a Mac mini, will I be able to transfer the data from my iMac to the Mac mini even though it has that old high sierra operating system?"

-------

What to Do:

1. Back up your Mac: Start by creating a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

2. Perform an Upgrade:

Go Here, and see if you can upgrade: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

3. Migrate and Reinstall Data and Apps:

Once all is complete, migrate it over from the Time Machine Backup you created in step one. If required, request from the developers new keys for their software, informing them that your computer crashed. Ask for 64-bit installers, if looking to install 

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2021 12:19 PM in response to Jazzylis

Jazzylis Said:

"I Just purchased a Mac mini, will I be able to transfer the data from my iMac to the Mac mini even though it has that old high sierra operating system?"

-------

What to Do:

1. Back up your Mac: Start by creating a Time Machine backup of your Mac, so that you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

2. Perform an Upgrade:

Go Here, and see if you can upgrade: How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

3. Migrate and Reinstall Data and Apps:

Once all is complete, migrate it over from the Time Machine Backup you created in step one. If required, request from the developers new keys for their software, informing them that your computer crashed. Ask for 64-bit installers, if looking to install 

OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.