Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to enable sound on notifications from a third party app?

Hello, is it possible to have sound playing when a notification is recieved from a third party app? I called Apple phone support and they did not know. My phone is an Iphone 6S with the newest version OS. Regards.

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on Mar 31, 2021 1:01 PM

12 replies

Mar 31, 2021 1:10 PM in response to acp_

It is not possible to select a "specific sound" for the 3rd Party apps. It is the developer behind the app who will handle the notification sounds.

However, you can mute specific apps. You can turn them on again. On your iPhone, go to:

Settings -> Notifications. Find the app that does not provide sound, and check that it has permission to provide notifications

Apr 1, 2021 1:01 AM in response to Community User

I was told from support that " After Safari updated to the latest version, the sound of notifications is turned off in the browser by default. You can enable it by opening Safari preferences - > websites - > auto-play - > allow all auto-play."

However I dont find any "website" fane under safari preferences .. You know where to find that?

Apr 1, 2021 3:01 AM in response to Community User

I am not using Safari I am using a third party app that delivers notifications to my Iphone. It happens quite often that I miss these notifications that are important to me, because the phone only vibrates when a notification is pushed, and I am not in physical contact with the phone at all times. Support adviced me that it has to do with Safari settings, so I am gussing that the app uses part of the safari API or something like that. You know how to select Safari preferences websites, then I can test it.

Apr 1, 2021 3:07 AM in response to acp_

To find the Safari settings, go to:

Settings -> Safari.

But it sounds strange that Safari should prevent a 3rd Party app from getting notifications with audio.

Can you tell which 3rd party app it is?

Have you tried uninstalling the app, rebooting your phone, and reinstalling it?

Mar 31, 2021 1:17 PM in response to acp_

Have you checked if you have turned on the "Mute" switch on the side of your iPhone?

Has it said sounds at notifications before?

Apr 1, 2021 3:51 AM in response to acp_

No, it's not there. That feature is only available in Safari on Mac, not iOS.

Have you tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling?

How to enable sound on notifications from a third party app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.