Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD My Passport for Mac compatiblility with Big Sur

Is Western Digital My Passport for Mac compatible with Big Sur? I noticed Time Machine is activated, but I see no current files copied to WD External HD. Anyone else have this problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 6:56 PM

Thank you for answering.

WD answered me tonight. They gave me a tutorial on backing up and restoring files/folder. I had two icons of My Passport on TM.. I designated one as the drive to back up to, and deleted the other.

That seemed to fix the problem.

I now have all recent files on my MBP backed up on TM as of April 1.

It's a big relief.

Thanks so much for taking time to answer.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2021 6:56 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you for answering.

WD answered me tonight. They gave me a tutorial on backing up and restoring files/folder. I had two icons of My Passport on TM.. I designated one as the drive to back up to, and deleted the other.

I now have all recent files on my MBP backed up on TM as of April 1.

It's a big relief.

Thanks so much for taking time to answer.

Apr 1, 2021 3:23 PM in response to raramaki

USB disks are USB disks, and should work across versions.

Add-on apps and tools some vendors can provide can sometimes get tangled with updates, and I tend not to use those.

It's also possible that the disk has failed. They do that, unfortunately.

Check with WD and see if they have storage diagnostics, or if they have updates for the add-on apps if you're using those.

Apr 1, 2021 6:00 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

I have had the ext drive for 2-3 years.

I connect via USB 2.0 on my hub (thanks Apple for leaving us with1 Thunderbolt and 1USB-3).

It backed up to Time Machine until I upgraded to Catalina and Big Sur.

Now I only see files and folders from before I upgraded the OS.

I sent an email to Western Digital with the serial number of the HD.

How old is your external drive, and does it work in Big Sur?

Apr 1, 2021 6:21 PM in response to raramaki

my wd drive is right around a year old. i bought it at the same time as my current iMac. yes, it does work on big sur. i'm at 11.2.3 and have as of yet to encounter an issue. but your statement has me wondering, are the backups for catalina still on the drive? when i upgraded to big sur i waited about a week to be sure i didn't need to revert back to catalina. then i completely erased the drive to start TM from a "blank slate". with big sur the TM drive automatically gets formatted as APFS. so i'm wondering if having big sur and catalina on the same drive could be causing a conflict.

Apr 1, 2021 7:10 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Thanks for answering.

As I said to the other person who responded, I got a reply from WD earlier tonight.

I went through the tutorial on backing up/restoring using WD My Passport for Mac.

Apparently I had two active icons of My Passport in TM. I designated one as the Backup Disk and deleted the other.

I now can confirm that my recent files on my MBP with OS 11.2.3 are backed up to My Passport WD drive.

Thanks again jeffreythefrog for taking time to answer.

Ron

WD My Passport for Mac compatiblility with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.