Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Optimize iPad storage for photos

Hi all,

i have a question regarding optimize ipad storage for photos. Currently I’m using “download and keep originals “. I understand that if I optimize, iPad will start to selectively free up space on my iPad storage by using thumbnails to store on iPad, and keep original resolution on iCloud.

if I optimize and then need to insert a photo for an eBay listing or an email, will iPad automatically get the full resolution photo from iCloud and then insert it into the listing or email? Or do I need to do something to make this happen? A thumbnail or low res won’t work for the listings...

i need full resolution photos because the ads are for products that require extremely high resolution for zoom in, to inspect the condition of the product.

also once optimize is enabled can it be reversed if I get a new iPad with more local iPad storage?

thanks in advance

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 8:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 8:50 PM

Good questions and the answers below are all in your favor.

1. If you optimize the storage on your device and you decide to post a picture or share a picture then your original resolution picture will be uploaded / shared. In most cases you it will be a seamless transfer. Your device will even display the original resolution image if you pull it up using the Photos app.
  2. Yes, the storage optimization feature can be reversed and once you do then all your pictures will begin downloading with original resolution. If you get a new iPad, for example, then you would begin downloading the pictures once you sign into your iCloud Apple ID.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2021 8:50 PM in response to Ididsa

Good questions and the answers below are all in your favor.

1. If you optimize the storage on your device and you decide to post a picture or share a picture then your original resolution picture will be uploaded / shared. In most cases you it will be a seamless transfer. Your device will even display the original resolution image if you pull it up using the Photos app.
  2. Yes, the storage optimization feature can be reversed and once you do then all your pictures will begin downloading with original resolution. If you get a new iPad, for example, then you would begin downloading the pictures once you sign into your iCloud Apple ID.

Axel F.

Optimize iPad storage for photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.