Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone XS Max kept crashing after iOS14.4.2 update

After I updated iOS 14.4.2, my iPhone XS Max kept crashing and battery flat even though I have 75% of battery left. I have to plug in the charging cable and the battery is restored back after 5 mins. This has happened to be 4 times within 24 hours. Is this normal?

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 10:08 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 2, 2021 12:00 AM in response to atw168

Hi, software crashes aren’t normal but do happen. My general rule with installing updates is to wait until all seems well but 14.4.2 was a security update to WebKit so is needed. It was also patched to older devices as 12.5.2 . I have the iPhone XS and so far it seems to be working fine. One thing to try if it happens again is a restart. In quick succession press and release volume up then press and release volume down, then hold the side button until the iPhone turns off, release the side button when you see the Apple logo.

Apr 4, 2021 5:17 AM in response to scottie-from-idle

My battery Heath is about 86%. I do not think it is my battery issue. I had never experienced a sudden shutdown before this. It has more to do with iOS14.4.2. More interesting to note is that my phone is drained flat and after I plug in the charging cable, my iPhone is fully charge within 30mins.... it is very weird.

I will wait for more people to complain on this phenomenon.

Apr 4, 2021 6:42 AM in response to atw168

Yes that is strange, and the battery health of your iPhone is still ok. Also Apple has stopped signing 14.4.1 so you can’t downgrade. Hopefully the next update will correct the issue. One last resort could be to restore the iOS software and firmware. You would need a Mac or pc with iTunes to do this. Connect your iPhone to the the computer then if iTunes opens close the app. On your iPhone press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen. On the computer, iTunes will open and will give you two options Update or Restore, choose Restore this will install a fresh copy of the latest iOS version and firmware for your iPhone. Please note this will wipe your iPhone so try do a backup first and you will need your Apple ID and password.

iPhone XS Max kept crashing after iOS14.4.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.