Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.2 Safari - Autofill and reader view not working when in-app, e.g. from

On iOS 14.2 Safari - Autofill and reader view are working as expected in the Safari app, but when Safari is run in-app, e.g. when browsing from the GMail app, it doesn’t autofill anything, not even passwords, and it doesn’t allow enabling reading mode.

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 1, 2021 11:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2021 12:50 PM

I know Gmail doesn’t open Safari but just a web-view, powered by the same browser engine that runs in Safari.

The thing is that until some day even opening the page in the web-view, the autofill worked and it did even for passwords. But one day it stopped working.

Anyway I think I figured it out.

I had put some limitations on using the restrictions app provided with iOS, nothing to do with Safari or system settings, but then when I removed those limitations, the autofill in the web view started working again.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2021 12:50 PM in response to jmarse1

I know Gmail doesn’t open Safari but just a web-view, powered by the same browser engine that runs in Safari.

The thing is that until some day even opening the page in the web-view, the autofill worked and it did even for passwords. But one day it stopped working.

Anyway I think I figured it out.

I had put some limitations on using the restrictions app provided with iOS, nothing to do with Safari or system settings, but then when I removed those limitations, the autofill in the web view started working again.

Apr 3, 2021 3:43 PM in response to verlockend

Hi, verlockend, and welcome to the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you have some concerns with passwords and other information using AutoFill. We'll be glad to go over this with you.

To clarify, Safari wouldn't open within an app like Gmail. Many applications have their own built in web browsers, which may not support AutoFill or similar services. If you'd like to use AutoFill, we'd recommend opening the page in Safari manually, which would allow AutoFill to work.

Automatically fill in forms in Safari on iPhone

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Take care!

iOS 14.2 Safari - Autofill and reader view not working when in-app, e.g. from

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.