Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating my old iMac to a brand new iMac 27..!

It's been a LONG time since I got to do this, and I think I am correct in thinking that there should be no problem 'migrating' data and apps to my new computer, but I also thought it would be a good idea to verify that, here.. So.. this is what I need to verify:

Can I use Time Machine in my old iMac to migrate to the new one?

I just did an update on my old iMac "in preparation" for this new computer, and the old one now shows that it is now OS 10.13.6 (High Sierra - which may be 'max' for this unit..?).

Now, I get to pick up my NEW iMac in about two hours (!!!), and I'd guess that it has possibly "Catalina" on it (OS 10.15.7)... (?) But...I don't really know, y'know???

Of note: To be honest, I bought the new computer over the phone and "totally blindly" because, once I got 'permission' to do it, I JUMPED on it, so I haven't even had the opportunity to "play" with it at all, and probably won't have time to do that until I get everything fully operational again.

So what (if anything) should I be anticipating if I use Time Machine in OS 10.13.6 to put it all on a brand new 1 TB USB 3 external hard disk and use this to attempt to 'migrate' to the new computer..? Am I missing anything here?

As one might infer from the first sentence, when LAST I got to do this, Time Machine worked flawlessly... But that WAS a fairly long time ago (!) and I'm trying to be a 'proactive' in getting everything happening as quickly as possible, so... Input from those "more in the know..", please?

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 4:36 PM

Your new Mc will come with Big Sur. During initial setup it will ask if you want to transfer all your files, settings etc. from your TM that you should have connected to the new Mac. Just say yes and away you go. Note that your old 32bit apps will not longer function so after you will need to replace those with 64bit versions from the developer.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 4:36 PM in response to bzinn

Your new Mc will come with Big Sur. During initial setup it will ask if you want to transfer all your files, settings etc. from your TM that you should have connected to the new Mac. Just say yes and away you go. Note that your old 32bit apps will not longer function so after you will need to replace those with 64bit versions from the developer.

Apr 3, 2021 9:09 AM in response to tbirdvet

Than you very much for the input, and I have to say things are now "really rockin'.." here (as one of the "kids" here loves to say). I thought it might be Big Sur, myself, but when I booted up, it was, in fact, Catalina, but virtually immediately there was pop-up saying "Update available" (which, of course was the Big Sure update). But being the IMPATIENT old guy that I am, I set it all up under Catalina, connected both the old iMac and new to the network, and then did a 'migration' across the network, which took maybe a bit longer than I had maybe thought it might over a Gigabit network, but I was able to "patiently" wait for this to complete. Then immediately updated to Big Sur. Lots of nice changes, I must say...

And it would appear that all apps are fully functional, including MS Office (which I really thought WAS a 32-bit program, but..whatever...). And wow..! I am totally amazed at the performance of this astounding computer.! I should have pushed for this quite a while ago! But I'm not in"production just an 'office flunky' (they call me "Boss' but I think that's 'honorary' more than anything) who didn't really "require" this level of capabilities. But most certainly with THIS computer I definitely could..! (Hmmm.. Maybe not... that's why we hire 'the kids'...). But going from an i5@1.5 Ghz with 8 GB of RAM and a 500 GB hard disk to this MONSTER with a 10 core i7 @3.8 GHz and 16 GB of RAM booting from a 512 GB SSD ..?! Oh well.. I think I died and went heaven. And this SCREEN..! OMG!!! Y' almost could get lost... But I think I may swap out the keyboard, which is a bit 'smallish' for my hands...

All I gotta say is.. WOW!

Migrating my old iMac to a brand new iMac 27..!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.