Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Redownloaded music format

If you redownload a song, what format does it come back in? Is it the same as the original file or something else?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 4:00 PM

Don't delete the protected song. Right-click and use Remove Download. It should remain in the library with a cloud download icon. Click this to download it once more. This time you should get a 256K Matched AAC copy. Assuming that works rinse are repeat, in batches rather than one at a time. This method will only work for content that it still available in the store. Backup your purchases first. Once they have been replaced I suggest hiding the old purchases from your purchase history and making backups of the DRM free replacements. You don't get to redownload them again once you stop your subscription.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 4:00 PM in response to 29PAS

Don't delete the protected song. Right-click and use Remove Download. It should remain in the library with a cloud download icon. Click this to download it once more. This time you should get a 256K Matched AAC copy. Assuming that works rinse are repeat, in batches rather than one at a time. This method will only work for content that it still available in the store. Backup your purchases first. Once they have been replaced I suggest hiding the old purchases from your purchase history and making backups of the DRM free replacements. You don't get to redownload them again once you stop your subscription.

tt2

Apr 2, 2021 2:12 PM in response to 29PAS

You can burn your protected purchases to audio CD and then rip back unprotected files for a small (perhaps imperceptible) loss of quality. Or you subscribe to iTunes Match, match the purchases, remove the downloads, then download a matched 256K replacement that you can keep after your subscription ends. You need a reasonable quantity of protected purchases to make this a cost effective approach.

tt2

Apr 2, 2021 3:02 PM in response to turingtest2

I knew about the burning to CD option but I have about 300 protected songs (all done 2007-9) and no CD drive on my new Mac so I nixed that idea. I subscribed to iTunes Match, matched the library, then deleted one song as a test and that's the one that came back "protected". So I now have open support cases with Apple and Sonos (the main problem is the protected songs won't play thru the Sonos app) where each says it's the other's fault. I just wasn't sure about how the redownloaded songs were supposed to come back and there was no place I could see to make a choice - hence my initial question. If they can't help, I may look into one of those conversion programs. I do appreciate your help!

Redownloaded music format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.