Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 6 GPS + Cellular

Hello all, if I buy the newest Apple Watch series 6 with the GPS + Cellular feature included, will I have to pay extra for the cellular if I do not want to use it as a stand alone mobile device instead of my phone? The type of watch I am interested in does not have a gps only version. I don’t want to purchase this watch and be forced to pay monthly fees with my cellular company in order for it to work normal.

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 2:13 PM

A) you do not need to activate the cellular radio, and in that case, it behaves as if it were just a GPS only Apple Watch. You can always activate the cellular radio later

B) If you activate the cellular radio, the Cellular + GPS Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number, and the carriers that support the Apple Watch charge a monthly fee. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month. Here is a list of carriers that support the Apple Watch:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

C) The GPS only Apple Watch (or a cellular that has not activated the radio) can do Everything the activated Cellular model can do AS LONG AS your iPhone is nearby, where nearby is generally somewhere in the same moderately sized home. The Cellular model allows you to leave your iPhone at home while you go for a walk, run, bike ride.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2021 2:13 PM in response to Appleswithcereal

A) you do not need to activate the cellular radio, and in that case, it behaves as if it were just a GPS only Apple Watch. You can always activate the cellular radio later

B) If you activate the cellular radio, the Cellular + GPS Apple Watch shares the iPhone's phone number, and the carriers that support the Apple Watch charge a monthly fee. In the U.S. the fee is $10 per month. Here is a list of carriers that support the Apple Watch:

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular

C) The GPS only Apple Watch (or a cellular that has not activated the radio) can do Everything the activated Cellular model can do AS LONG AS your iPhone is nearby, where nearby is generally somewhere in the same moderately sized home. The Cellular model allows you to leave your iPhone at home while you go for a walk, run, bike ride.

Apple Watch 6 GPS + Cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.