You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

connecting a microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard to a 2017 macbook pro by bluetooth

I'm trying to connect a Microsoft Sculpt ergonomic keyboard (5KV-00001)(June 2020 purchase) to my 2017 13" MacBook pro via bluetooth, not via the usb dongle that Microsoft includes. My MacBook recognizes it and it works with the usb dongle connected, but I would rather just use bluetooth and not have to add a USB adaptor to Thunderbolt adapter. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 2:02 PM

1 reply

Apr 4, 2021 6:33 AM in response to CN3353

Hi CN3353,

It sounds like you have a keyboard that connects but would like to use it without the dongle. We're glad you've joined us in Apple Support Communities. Let's see if this helps.

Your Mac is specified to work with Bluetooth devices. You can double-check this by seeing if another Bluetooth device will connect to your Mac. If it turns out that the Bluetooth on your Mac is no longer working, follow the steps in Connect a Bluetooth device with your Mac.

You'll want to reach out to Microsoft to see if there's a different way to connect the keyboard without the dongle on a Mac. Because their hardware requires a dongle to work in this scenario, they'd be the best people to speak with. They have the most information about their own hardware and if there are any possible software additions. This link may help: PC accessories help & learning. 

We hope that helps with your question and take care!

connecting a microsoft sculpt ergonomic keyboard to a 2017 macbook pro by bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.