Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smartlist and live update shall not die!

Hi, I am an absolute lover of live updating feature, that really made great my ipod over past years. Unfortunately, I recently had to replace my glorious Classic 80GB with an old but still good iphone 6s, which I configured with exactly the same set of chained smartlists that were in my ipod but... There it came my problem.

Live update works for lowest level smartlists, but it doesn't for higher level ones. For example: in the smartlistA where I collect 1 or 2 stars rated tracks, everything is fine, even when I change the song rating by the iphone, tracks are correctly pulled in and out accordingly.

But another smartlist,B, which among its rules contains "playlist is not" the mentioned smartlist A (plus some more rules), just stays unchanged when I change the track rating.

I didn't take long to see that this issue has a simple workaround, that is to just explicitly set rules for the rating, directly in smartlistB.

The real pain is when I try to create the whole chain of several smartlists that I need to build my beloved master smartlist, which I call "hit parade", that has (hem, "had" when I was using the ipod) essentially the amazing feature of playing always different songs and every single one within the hundreds of tracks in the device.

Has anyone some clues to overcome this issue of higher level referenced smartlist? Is it worrh it reporting to dev's team? I guess it should be a matter of software improvement about "live update", i. e. when iphone has to check current playlist's rules. It just seems nested lists were not taken into account!

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2021 2:29 PM

Ok I think I found exactly the same issue I see with the iphone, but reported here for the ipod, years ago: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2150956?answerId=10174219022#10174219022

Don't get confused by the subject of the thread I am referring to, they really talk about live update mechanism broken by nested smartlists! But, here it comes the special part, there you will also find a pretty smart workaround to the issue. Not as superb as the nested smartlist original method, but with decent performance.

I personally applied the workaround mentioned in that post and it truly works! At last, my favourite features are not dead!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2021 2:29 PM in response to bullons

Ok I think I found exactly the same issue I see with the iphone, but reported here for the ipod, years ago: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2150956?answerId=10174219022#10174219022

Don't get confused by the subject of the thread I am referring to, they really talk about live update mechanism broken by nested smartlists! But, here it comes the special part, there you will also find a pretty smart workaround to the issue. Not as superb as the nested smartlist original method, but with decent performance.

I personally applied the workaround mentioned in that post and it truly works! At last, my favourite features are not dead!

Smartlist and live update shall not die!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.