Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Airdrop option showing in macOS Finder Preferences - Catalina

I have a 2020 Macbook Pro with macOS Catalina. There is no Airdrop option in either the Finder sidebar or the Finder>Preferences>Sidebar. Why not?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 2, 2021 4:14 PM

6 replies

Apr 18, 2021 5:32 AM in response to travellerva

I had the same problem and fixed it thanks to a phone call with Apple Support.

Before starting you should verify that:

1. Both devices are on the same Wifi Network
  2. Both devices have bluetooth enabled

The solution is composed by steps below:

1. Go to System preferences
  2. Users and Groups, then click on the lock to enable modify
  3. Click on + (plus) button
  4. From the dropdown menù choose "Administrator"
  5. Choose a "full name", for example "test"
  6. Click on "account name" field, it will autofill with the same value of previous step
  7. Choose a password, for example "1234" (we will delete this account at the end of the guide, so do not worry about security)
  8. Confirm the password
  9. Reboot your Mac
  10. On login screen, choose the account created at step 5 (in this case "test")
  11. Insert the password
  12. Try to send a file from iPhone/iPad to the Mac and viceversa
  13. Now you can reboot the Mac
  14. Go to Users and Groups
  15. Delete the "test" account, remember to choose "Delete the home folder"

Now you should be able to send all your photos and files to your Mac!

Apr 18, 2021 2:35 PM in response to 4lex96

4lex96; thanks so much for going to the trouble of sending this detail. Sadly, I still cannot get it to work.

I set up the alternative Admin user as suggested (your steps 1-8). Booted into it; set up Bluetooth and WiFi ok and confirmed both devices see each other. Also confirmed that Airdrop on the Mac would accept drops from any user. I selected a photo on the iPhone and clicked Airdrop. The iPhone now sees the Mac as a target and sends the photo ok. The mac accepts the photo and all is well. (Your steps 9-12)

I then reboot the Mac into the original user account and delete the "test" user, including "Delete the home folder".

No luck. "Airdrop" still does not appear as an option in Finder and the iPhone no longer has the Mac as a target option in its Airdrop process. Both are on Bluetooth and on the same WiFi network.

On reflection, I'm not surprised. Setting up a new admin user account is likely to create all usable options, but it would be very unlikely for anything opted in a new admin user account to reflect back into a different existing user account.

Thanks anyway.

Apr 18, 2021 3:17 PM in response to travellerva

I just remembered a step that I didn’t described before.

once you login into your new “test” account, you should login to you iCloud account in the system preferences!

maybe that’s the point of all steps before, sorry if I remembered it just now.

You need to login to your iCloud after the step 11, and before the step 12.

Then on the step 12 you will see on your iPhone/iPad screen 2 MacBooks with the same name, you should select the one on the far right.

No Airdrop option showing in macOS Finder Preferences - Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.